Voice Over Work

i just recorded some VO stuff for a guy trying to get into the business. i am fully aware that it's nearly an impossible egg to crack but that's on him, not me. i'm curious though for people that work in the industry, what does a typical VO demo sound like? each of the things we recorded was kind of in a similar tone. i suggested that he go through a range of emotions but he didn't feel it was necessary.

That's a loaded question. As someone who works in VO regularly, I have a few different demo reels: one "everything" reel that showcases a lot of different things (commercials, promos, phone stuff, etc.), and a "specialty" reel for each commercials, corporate promos, and phone work.

The demo should highlight his ability in the target segment that they are after. In today's market, if he intends to do a lot of different things, he'll need a combined reel for the P2P sites, and specialty reels for everything else.

Unless he's doing character work, he shouldn't need a HUGE range of sounds, but should show some variety. Want to post it up for us to critique?

EDIT: I did get a chuckle... if he discounted your suggestion to give you some emotional range, he's going to find working with producers a real adventure. :)

Want to post it up for us to critique?

sure, but first let me say that i have never done anything like this before and have no idea what a typical demo sounds like. he asked that i just capture his voice with no eq or reverb or anything, so that's what this is. he came in preparred with a few short clips that he read. he went through each passage 4 times and i took the best of each and edited into one file. i thought it would be better to put each clip into a different track but that ain't what he wanted.

also, he wanted his name, email, and phone number first. he called me a few minutes ago and said he wasn't happy with that part of the file and wants to re-track it. why would that part of it matter? :confused:

that being said, dude has a pretty rad voice.

Eugene Taylor

if he intends to do a lot of different things, he'll need a combined reel for the P2P sites

can you expand on this please? it sounds like it's typical to flood the P2P's with demo reels. do interested parties actually scour these sites looking for potential candidates? :confused:

again, totl noob in this area so i may ask some very basic questions, but since i got your ear i'm going to. :p

can you expand on this please? it sounds like it's typical to flood the P2P's with demo reels. do interested parties actually scour these sites looking for potential candidates? :confused:

Folks won't necessarily scour for the track, but he'll need a good basic "all around" that he can submit for projects, especially if he doesn't have his own setup at home to record custom demo's with (which, BTW, will put him at a HUGE competitive disadvantage).

Here are some good examples of what he needs to compete with:
Bob Souer
DB Cooper
Philip Banks
You can view my site & demos by clicking on my signature line.

What you've recorded could be used as a starting point, though (and I intend for this to be constructive) it's nowhere near demo quality yet. First starts with the speaker... he has several places on which he needs to correct his enunciation - he tends to jumble and/or trail off at the end of his phrases - and he certainly needs to bring some life into the voice. It's not all about timbre; he needs to show he can animate the words.

Second, the recording would work over an audio bed (which it needs). As it is alone, it's too noisy. Each breath needs to be edited, and then the entire piece should be edited for flow.

Here's a rough sketch of what I might do with a track like the one you posted:

Eugene Taylor - Rough Demo with Audio Bed

Can't put life into a lifeless read, but with a few edits, the recording certainly works.

Were I in your seat and able to give him some influence, I would suggest he take a public speaking or acting course to help teach him how to put some life into his reads. How strong a suggestion would, of course, depend on how big he is...

Folks won't necessarily scour for the track, but he'll need a good basic "all around" that he can submit for projects, especially if he doesn't have his own setup at home to record custom demo's with (which, BTW, will put him at a HUGE competitive disadvantage).

Here are some good examples of what he needs to compete with:
Bob Souer
DB Cooper
Philip Banks
You can view my site & demos by clicking on my signature line.

What you've recorded could be used as a starting point, though (and I intend for this to be constructive) it's nowhere near demo quality yet. First starts with the speaker... he has several places on which he needs to correct his enunciation - he tends to jumble and/or trail off at the end of his phrases - and he certainly needs to bring some life into the voice. It's not all about timbre; he needs to show he can animate the words.

Second, the recording would work over an audio bed (which it needs). As it is alone, it's too noisy. Each breath needs to be edited, and then the entire piece should be edited for flow.

much appreciated! let me explain how this came to be. dude is an aquaintance at the local watering hole that my wife tends bar at. he's a truck driver nearing retirement and is looking for something to do in the future. he was telling us that he paid $40/hr at a local studio and wasn't happy with the results. i heard what they gave him and it SUCKED. i told him to come over for an hour and we'd retrack it. I haven't charged the guy anything other than a few beers. :p

if this is going to turn into a time-consuming project, i'm gonna need to charge him. he said he wanted his voice recorded. i did that. if it's your professional opinion that he should spend a little money so we can get this right, i'll advise him on it and let him make the choice.

i do appreciate any tips you have for us though. thanks!

Here's a rough sketch of what I might do with a track like the one you posted:

Eugene Taylor - Rough Demo with Audio Bed

wow! that was quick and nice! is there a place you DL audio beds from or do you have a library?

Were I in your seat and able to give him some influence, I would suggest he take a public speaking or acting course to help teach him how to put some life into his reads. How strong a suggestion would, of course, depend on how big he is...

lol! dude is cool so that won't be an issue. thanks again.

Thanks. It's more like a hobby gone out of control than a full-time living. :)

There are places to download audio beds, though you get what you pay for. Most of the stuff I use is Logic-bundled, but I have purchased several RF libraries and some stuff we produce in-house.

Part of what I do is voiceover production. If your buddy could lay down some decent reads, he could pay someone like myself to assemble a production. Before he lays out cash, though, he needs to know what he's getting into. As I said above, it's very difficult for a VO to survive/compete today unless they have their own studio. He'd probably do best to build some relationships with a local production company/studio who hires out voice talent for companies who don't hire their own directly.

Thanks. It's more like a hobby gone out of control than a full-time living. :)

There are places to download audio beds, though you get what you pay for. Most of the stuff I use is Logic-bundled, but I have purchased several RF libraries and some stuff we produce in-house.

Part of what I do is voiceover production. If your buddy could lay down some decent reads, he could pay someone like myself to assemble a production. Before he lays out cash, though, he needs to know what he's getting into. As I said above, it's very difficult for a VO to survive/compete today unless they have their own studio. He'd probably do best to build some relationships with a local production company/studio who hires out voice talent for companies who don't hire their own directly.

thanks, dude.

If it's up for critique, I'll take a stab..

I think he has a great tone. Very rich and deep. But his intelligibility really seems to lack. He doesn't speak very clearly. Words just kind of blend together since he doesn't enunciate very carefully. Aside from that, he also doesn't speak with much charisma. At this point it seems like he has the right starting point (with his tone) but will actually need to consider other techniques to make himself more desirable.

If it's up for critique, I'll take a stab..

I think he has a great tone. Very rich and deep. But his intelligibility really seems to lack. He doesn't speak very clearly. Words just kind of blend together since he doesn't enunciate very carefully. Aside from that, he also doesn't speak with much charisma. At this point it seems like he has the right starting point (with his tone) but will actually need to consider other techniques to make himself more desirable.
I'd kind of agree with that except to say that to this Englishman, he sounds fantastic ! I am an admirer of accents from all over the world, though, so I guess I'm a sucker for different voices.

Back