Voice improvement

Your voice is very nice so it's a good platform to start on. Rock is a very broad genre, especially when it comes to vocals. What sort of vocal elements do you want to emulate?

The great thing about recording yourself is you can try a thousand different things with your voice and see what you like and what you want to change.

EDIT: Another thing, watch live videos of singers that you enjoy and watch what they do with their faces when they sing. Your facial expressions and the way you shape your mouth make a huge difference in tonality.

Methink's you sing excellently, nice subtle power. As for trying too sing "rock", you say you normally sing RnB style, well just sing RnB style. This may be just an opinion, but most modern "rock" singer's find their inspiration from the older rock singer's, who found alot of their inspiration from blue's and RnB and gospel and whatnot, genre's where singer's relyed on emotion. Rock is more musical term, i dont think it can really be applied as a singing term. But that's really just my opinion, i'm no expert, heck. I can't even sing :p

I like your voice (I popped over to your soundcloud space to have a listen). May I suggest that you work on your intonation (pitch), which I thought was a bit marginal at points.

Your voice has a great quality, and I see no reason why you couldn't "cross over" genres. But you don't want to be relying on autotune, and I think it adds to a singers cred to nail notes singing live.

All the best.

Paul

A really good friend of mine was playing a battle of the bands where audience participation was incorporated into the score. He asked me advice on how in the world they were going to even dream about placing granted that they'd have a draw of maybe 30, while the top bands were packing the venue.

I told him that the most important part of playing music is being genuine and passionate. Technicality is so minimal when it's put against passion. I'm about to take a thread-beating, but that's why ZP Theart is a joke and Adam Duritz is a legend. Practice crying, getting angry, and shaking, opening your eyes REALLY wide, or closing them. Sing lyrics that give you goosebumps and affect you. Watch out for cheese-factor. That's my two cents, anyway. Take it or leave it :)

Hey man, I think your voice sounds pretty good on that soundcloud demo, and I have to second some of the posts here (mostly, that emulating rock singers is basically one step removed from emulating gospel and blues singers). But as far as thickening your voice is concerned, there are a few things you can do. First, practice Low Larynx exercises daily (or even multiple times a day). Basically to do this, run up your comfortable pitch zone at a moderate volume but making your tone sound like Yogi Bear. Hold your finger over your larynx (adam's apple) to make sure you are keeping it as low as you can. It will 'remember' where to go naturally once you train it to, and this will keep your throat open and your voice resonant. Also, as you get higher, focus singing out the front of your face (often referred to as the mask, or middle, voice). DO THIS WITHOUT STRAINING. It will allow you to sing with the resonance of your chest and the pitch of your head, which will really thicken up the top end. The more you do this, the smoother your transitions along the pitch spectrum will be, and the more thick and resonant your voice will be overall. Most importantly, sing EVERY day for as much time as you can dedicate (1/2 hour to and hour is usually really good). It will keep your pitch correct, your voice resonant, and your vocal chords loose and relaxed. You have a good voice already, so you should start to hear big sounds coming out soon.

Back