Voice Acting (Voice Over) Techniques?

LmnLm3

Wasn't sure to post this in recording, mixing, mastering, or here, but I'm starting at the source.

I'm trying to get into voice acting and voice overs, but I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing to get my vocals to sound . . . voice over-y.

My voice has (I think) a Disney Aladdin sort of tone, and if anyone here has done voice overs (and doesn't have a GOD voice) do you have any tips to get closer to that sound?

I know I can't have a GOD voice, and I don't want one (well, you know...) but I am trying to get a richer low end and a smoother and less nasally tone.

Thoughts? Or is this a post production issue? (in which case I'll post this in a different forum)

Thanks a million!

Try these few things and practice practice practice! Record yourself reading existing radio spots, short stories and narration from a documentary or something like that. You will hear right away the kinds of things you can work on. Listen for things like word annunciation, speed of delivery, accenting certain words, etc. You can also work on maybe a few character voices, foreign accents, regional dialects, etc.

You can then make up a few minute demo track to direct folks to or burn some CD's and hand them to local studio owners. I actually got started years ago by doing two things. Walking into a radio station and asking questions. Next thing I knew I was on the air, gulping and trying to spit out my first over-the-air words. I do not have a 'god' voice by any means, but I had the interest and the desire to put in the work. I also did a bit of video production and did all the narration for some church video projects and various local fundraisers for non-profits.

Bottom line is... If you have a desire to voice act or do voiceovers, put in the time and build your craft. Pay your dues! It might pay off, but if not, it is another skill you know something about and you will not have to wonder, "What if..."

Hope that makes sense and helps a bit?

Thanks for that - As a musician, I am really just an artist. I also know some acting technique, painting, photography, web design, etc.

It's all the same, and it's not like I have a "day job" (i.e. career) that would suffer from investing in training for voice acting.

I have nothing to lose, and plenty to gain, so thanks for that little kick in the right direction (for me) :)

I'm sure I'll be back soon enough with an update (and maybe a demo!)

Back