Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vocal Mics and Recording Environment

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by frostyplan View Post
    do I need to record in a different room, like a large walk-in shower?
    That would sound horrible. Better to sing in a dead room and add it in artificially. If you have a large living room with a high ceiling, you can try recording your vocals there. Still might come out boxy-sounding or it could sound okay.

Ideally a large room is good for vocals. Good vocals booths are not small closets where you stuff a singer. They are large rooms treated to give a nice lively sound and enhance the vocals. If you don't have a good room to record, sing in a dead room and add it in artificially. That's what I have to do fpr my crap tunes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yes, the inspiration is great. It kicks my butt and motivates me to sing... But it's all a waste, if nobody else can hear what I'm hearing or if the recording doesn't reflect the subtleties of the vocals. :-)
    To that I'll say- job one is -ours at the time to sing like that-
    Job two (assuming no great room to include at tracking) is to get that effects part done in the mix. ..Most often that's almost always the better time to add it in as you now have the luxury of hearing and tailoring it in the mix!

Sort'a two separate things going on there..
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    Job two (assuming no great room to include at tracking) is to get that effects part done in the mix.
    Yeah, I kinda assumed that you (OP) knew I meant to add your compression, EQ and effects when mixing, not before.
    Thnx Mixsit.

Thanks
    So maybe it all boils down to the fact that I haven't liked my effects... I watched a YouTube video about "Logic Pro Space Designer (suggested above). Yes...this is getting much closer to the sound (effects) I'm looking for. Will consider getting this. Hope I can find it for Windows based OS. If not, what else is out there? I haven't shopped for effects in a long time.

Thanks
    So maybe it all boils down to the fact that I haven't liked my effects... I watched a YouTube video about "Logic Pro Space Designer (suggested above). Yes...this is getting much closer to the sound (effects) I'm looking for. Will consider getting this. Hope I can find it for Windows based OS. If not, what else is out there? I haven't shopped for effects in a long time.
    So you need some help with FX, man there's a ton out there. Cheap enough, worthy and variable.
    Though as said 'phones won't do like the 'standing in the room thing.

To be continued ..? :>)

Like these!
    Valhalla DSP - Plugins

Do an interesting room -not to big not too small. A little predelay,,,
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

Thanks
    Or, my question was, do I need to record in a different room, like a large walk-in shower?
    If you can easily track in different rooms, then yeah, definitely do some experimentation here.

But, barring that, really getting into the nuts and bolts of a good reverb plugin can help add space. I REALLY wanted to find something other than the Valhalla verbs to use, because they're so ubiquitous - EVERYONE - uses them - but as it turns out, everyone uses them for a reason. They're great, and at $50, a steal.

I don't mix much vocal music, but I've had success with mixing in very short slapback echoes WAY down behind the vocal too - it adds an interesting grit, somehow.
    "They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are a little dicier." - David Foster Wallace (1962-2008)

Thanks
    I suspect you could record Celine Dion, on a Shure SM58 in any room and get a wonderful recording. You can record a less special voice and be very disappointed. Swapping room and microphone are the building on the lily in vocal terms. George Michael, for example is reported as recording breath tracks that were blended in. I suspect you need to really listen to your voice, and then experiment with mic distance and the room. If the best tonal recording of your voice is a foot away from the mic, then the room becomes critical, if the best tone is with lips on the grill, the room won't even matter.

Thanks
    She sings on a Tony Merrill modified Telefunken Elam 251E. $9000.00-10,000.00 + the cost of the mods. Through some of the best consoles and compressors ever built. She’s a top tier singer who’s a perfectionist when it comes to tracking vocals. Recorded in great rooms. That said she likes specific reverbs and delays brought into her monitor mix, when tracking. Francois Lelonde is her tracking engineer. There are some great articles about her recording chains, and rooms, and her recording process. Mixonline.com

Edit: still though even with all that high end gear, if you took her or another great singer, stuck them on a SM57, through a halfway decent set up. They’d still sound great. Celine would still sound like Celine.
    Last edited by Toastedgoat; 01-09-2019 at 15:54.

Thanks
    As an amateur in this sphere I can say that it was rather useful for me. Thx

Thread Information