Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Vocal isolation shield

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    Another thing I have noticed on some of my vocals is that my headphones are leaking into the mic. Phones are AKG K240M [older good ones made in Austria,] and the mic is an AKG C3000B large condenser [ I know not the greatest mic but there are a lot worse]. That mic is really hot. I am even keeping my recording levels low, close to -8 or -10 to keep the mic turned down and I am still getting some leakage.
    'AKG K240M Studio Semi-open Pro Studio Headphones'

With semi-open back headphones you will likely get leakage. For tracking with a mic you might want to consider a set of 'closed back' headphones.
    Mark.......

Thanks
    I did not realize the K240M's were considered semi-open. My next question is what would the best totally closed headphone be. A lot of studios use cheap headphones because musicians are not all careful with them and they break them all the time. I can afford a decent pair, open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by songsj View Post
    I did not realize the K240M's were considered semi-open. My next question is what would the best totally closed headphone be. A lot of studios use cheap headphones because musicians are not all careful with them and they break them all the time. I can afford a decent pair, open to suggestions.
    Get the Sennheiser HD-202. They are great for tracking and for casual music listening. They have a hyped bass response, so not so good for mixing. You'll like the price.

I looked at the SE reflexion thing. I've heard good things and considered buying one but I don't believe I really have a room problem as far as vocal recording goes.

Thanks
    Thanks I was looking at the Sennheiser's, will probably go with those. I still try to use all of the home recording tricks, 1. Don't turn the mic up any further than you have too, 2. Sing as loud as you can without ruining the performance, 3. Sing as close to the mic as possible which helps 1 & 2. 4. Rehearse and really watch the ss's, sh's ch's p's etc because you can only fix so much with a deesser. I am the only singer I record right now so I am used to doing this, most client's would walk out if you tried to make them do all of this. It is becoming second nature to me. My headphone bleed is not audible in the mix but I can hear it when I solo a vocal track, and I see the track meters move slightly during non vocal sections.

Thanks
    I ordered the Sennheiser's and that and the vocal shield should be here Friday we will see how much difference it makes. All of this being said, I would trade all of it for clean vocal takes with great phrasing, interpretation and almost perfect pitch.It really is tough to ruin a great vocal take if it is even recorded just halfway decent. Everything else is trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Such is life.

Thanks
    If the bleed doesn't affect the mix, it isn't a problem. With the track soloed, you will always hear something.

Singing louder will help with the S's. Unless you overpronounce them, that problem is cause by singing too quietly.

If you get really close to the mic, proximity effect will add low end.

Set the level so that a sustained loud-ish note sits around -18dbfs in the daw. That's about half way up the meter. Don't worry about where it peaks. (Unless it hits 0)
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

Thanks
    Close to the mic for me is I have my pop filter mounted about 2 to 3 inches from the mic and I sing around 2 to 3 inches away from that. A total of around 4 to 6 inches maybe 7. I don't think that is too close. I am recording so my overall peak levels are around -10 to -8 db. And they hang pretty much in that range most of the time. I could turn the trim up and get more gain on the track without hitting 0 for sure but I would pick up more backround noise. Now one could argue that by doing that the signal to noise ratio has not changed and that the relative difference in volume between the vocal and backround noise is still the same so it should make no difference in the end. Could be, it just bothers me to hear it. I am a pretty consistent singer volume wise. I guess I learned that from years of live performing without a real fancy PA system. I record straight in with no FX, no compression, no reverb, no nothing. My volume control was my voice and the distance from my mouth to the mic. I am hoping the vocal shield may tame the room reflections down just a touch. I am not looking for a 70.00 miracle. Often we improve our recording bit by bit, a tad at a time. If it does me no good and I think it is a gimmick I will be honest and let people know.

Thanks
    I can see when a shield would reduce some of the vocal reflections. After doing some research, I decided to add treatment behind me which seems to work well when recording. I use closed back headphones K271's or something and I get a tiny bit of bleed which is only audible when I solo the vocal track. I automate between every line to get rid of the bleed.

Thanks
    Automating between lines is probably a good idea, I think the pro's do that. Just need to be sure I don't chop off reverb tails. Also a good idea to do that on all tracks. Mute, remove or bring the volume all the way down on any section of any track when it is not playing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by witm8 View Post
    But over the weekend, when I knew that the Mrs was going to be out for longer than normal, I grabbed a double sheet from the bedroom draw and made like a 'U' shaped 'booth'.
    That's funny. I do the same, kinda, but I use comforters instead. And I make it 4 sided. Yes, I have to pull one side back to get out of the cave and touch the mouse/cpu, but it works well. And I put this behind the mic for added reflection:

CAD VocalShield VS1 Foldable Stand-Mounted Acoustic Shield | Musician's Friend
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thread Information