Topics for songwriting

MusicManiac

Song Topics:

I do ok with lyrics but I have a problem coming up with topics. Anyone have any advice on how they come up with good topics to write about?

Life is full of topics. Unless your life is completely boring, you should be able to come up with all kinds of stuff. Just take a look back at your life.

finally, something I can help someone else out with!

Hey MM.

I find that people that say their lives are boring are people that simply choose not to be observant, hey. There are so many themes you can pull out of anything you look at hey, sometimes it just takes some quiet time to yourself to pull them out of your head!

I don't know whether you're male or female either, but if you're a typical guy then you prolly never bother to sit and listen to your wife or your girlfriend talk about all the things *she* wants to talk about. Believe me, the stuff they have to say in a mere fifteen minutes could write a whole album sometimes!

I like universal themes that everyone can align with, but sometimes I like putting twists on them, and I get sick of writing your stock-standard love themes.

Paranoia is a good theme. Radiohead use it a lot. Society traps us in so many ways. Maybe check out the lyrics in OK Computer..they will give you some good ideas for themes.

I have a theme I personally use a fair bit which can be extended in a number of ways. One about working so hard, losing so much sleep over stupid accounts or exams or whatever, that you just fully lose grasp of the purpose of your work in the first place, and life shouldn't be about that.

catch phrases

I keep a running list of phrases that strike me as good song titles or interesting ideas to develop into tunes.

As Yogi Berra says........

You can see a lot just by watching. Reading. Listening. Therapy. It's a basic human contradiction. You get things by giving. You generate ideas by taking them in. Of course you're already doing this; but find ways to do it differently and better.

I read somewhere that the Beatles got song ideas out of the newspaper, can you imagine, penny lane in it's original form was probably an article about some street somewhere. My lyrical content lately has been influenced by the people around me, what they say and do, where they go.

penny lane...

Paul did name that song after a "real" Penny Lane. And how about.."I read the news today oh! boy....". Same deal

Brett

Back