Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are they really that important??????

Thanks

Are they really that important??????

Sign in to disable this ad
    Let me know if you think lyrics are really that important.
    From my point of view they're just the filling in of the melody.
    If you want to spread a message/ change the world, become a politician.

Thanks
    Depends on the song F_ck; Sometimes the lyrics govern the melody sometimes the song does. Sometimes the instruments are so distracting you can't even be bothered to listen to the lyrics. Other times the the song is so boring the only thing left is the lyrics.. lets hope their ok.

Thanks

despite all my rage, i am still just a rat in a cage

what if the lyrics were:

despite all my rage, i am still just a chocolate cake

would you like the song? would you connect to it? do you feel like a chocolate cake?

if lyrics aren't important, then why aren't there any top 50 hits in rock/pop/r&b/country/hip-hop
    that are instrumentals?

Thanks
    Most don't appreciate it, and the one's who could play it don't bother.

Yes, vocals are important. I think we can all agree on that.

Or can we?

Thanks
    I suppose that it really depends on the music. I think of Madonna's "like a prayer". I really liked the feel of that song- somehow mystical and enticing- until I one day listened to the lyrics. Utter garbage! They didn't even make sense! Not even for a pop song.

How 'bout something like Kansas with "Carry On" (my wayward son- can't recall the exact title...) That song would be WAY different without those words. The music and the lyrics work together to create a mood and a theme.

Then you have something like the Eagles and "Hotel California." OK, ok, the words might not make too much sense at times, but they so add to the air of the song. More than just melody.

Lyrics can also help define the genre of the song. Did anyone notice when Aerosmith went from hard rock to pop rock? Their lyric content changed, didn't it?

(Wow, I must have classic rock on my mind today...)

My guess is that hardly anyone will judge a song by the lyrics at first listen. I'd also guess that the longevity of a song will come at least partially from its lyrics.

Personally, I MUST have decent lyrics to be happy with a song I've created. I kinda disagree about becoming a politician to change to world. I think of music with a message as just noticing the world or some aspect of life. Pointing it out. A lot of folk music is that way. The lyrics are touching or tell a neat story. It isn't all about making a political statement or pushing an agenda, though it is for some people.

-Chris

Thanks
    I agree that an English-speaking person would judge a song at first by its lyrics.
    I'm Dutch, so if I hear a song I first notice if the music is good or not, then pick of the booklet to see what they're saying.

Why there are no hits without lyrics? Because when a song is a 'hit', then just a lot of people likes it, becauses they're brainwashed because of the continious radio-broadcasting. And not the majority of people have a good feeling for music, and almost everyone can talk, so can understand lyrics. That's why they buy it, I think.

Thanks

Along F_cksia's comments, lyrics are fairly important, but not completely important. Hence Rammstein's popularity in the U.S.
    -B

Thanks

Here's what I can offer

A few thoughts...
    I really think lyrics and vocals are two different issues entirely. It is true that there are rarely any pop/rock/country hits without vocals. However, there are hundreds without meaningful lyrics (and, of course hundreds with meaningful ones as well.)
    I think most pop songs are so full of dead words and overused cliches that just about any other set of lyrics could be substituted and no one would care. (If I have to listen to one more song that rhymes "fire" with "desire" I'm gonna puke!)
    However there are tons of songs that have really, REALLY clever, meaningful lyrics. Some songs even make great use of meaningless lyrics that become the hook of the song (Scaramoosh, Scaramoosh, Can you do the fandango?).
    If you want to hear some absotely great lyrical magic, listen to a few Disney songs with lyrics by Tim Rice. (Gaston's song from Beauty and the Beast: "I'm especially good at expectorating. As a specimen yes, I'm intimidating...") Great use of inside rhyming. Anyway....
    For me glib lyrics demonstrate a higher level of songwriting ability than just run of the mill rock. That's not to say that I don't enjoy it all, I just appreciate good lyrics.
    Aaron
    http://www.aaroncheney.com

Thanks

words is words

I think that most people connect with the words of a song, either consciously or subconsciously. The lyrical message is what most people latch onto. Or so I'm told.

I, on the other hand, almost never hear the words. Or I hear them, but don't really pay attention to them. I'm a guitarist, and so I hear the music first. The lyrics are about the last thing that I care about, and when I write new songs, the lyrics are the last thing I write.

I remember having this conversation with a friend of mine in college, over two of my favorite songs at the time: "Give it Away" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and "Mama Said" by Lenny Kravitz. I can't think of stupider lyrics in either case. But I love the funky vibe in both of those songs-- that's what I really respond to.

I also like clever, simple lyrics that complement great music:

If you want to destroy my sweater
    Hold this thread while I walk away

Pete

Thanks
    I don't think vocals and lyrics are necessarily separate issues.. Ever heard a song with nonsensical lyrics, and yet the diction in the choice of words seems to lock perfectly with the groove? I personally don't like rap, but I hafta admit rappers are excellent at juxtaposing rhythm to words...

My problem is that I'll write lyrics and find I have to change them around because certain words sound stupid when I sing them....

Cy

Thread Information