Is there an Objective?

badgas

Since the styles of song writing has been talked about, I'd like to know something else.

I guess there are two ways to start a song.
Just fiddling around and finding something that sounds good,,,
or sitting down to write a song.

When either of these happen, do you have anything in mind when you begin the lyrics?

Since I'm more of the fiddling around type when a song comes to mind, I just let the lyrics flow their course, good or bad. Later I'll fix them, if I can.

A few times when I get the chords and melody, somethings have been on my mind and I'll attempt to write about them, but it sounds like a narrative, not smooth.

What's on your mind when you start a song?

kinda depends.

I also often use the way of just singing some words that don't make sense while playing my song. I write down what I song and start messing with them untill I got lyrics I'm satisfied with. While messing around with that mambo jambolyrics you'll find that you often surprisingly sang interesting stuff.

But sometimes I have the feeling 'I want to write a song about this'. than I often have allready a few sentences I really want to use, even before I began with the music of the song.

There isn't really one ideal way to go, you just have to use what feels right to you I guess.

What ever works I guess..I guess that I have a image/emotion in my mind when I start a song..Sometimes they fall in your lap..most times they don't{for me}..depends on how I'm feelin'..For a while now{about year} I've been lyrics first with no melody..I can craft the music later, most times.My ex wife called about a month or two ago and wanted to get back together,after 6 years {she left me}..Just when you think your clean.LOL..I think I will have plenty to write about now!Now if I can just get off the woman suck train..LOL;)

Don

Hi Henry.
I thought I'd give a try at planning a song.
I don't fish, so I figured that would be a good subject to write about.
Decided to write the words first.

So far, I'm still sittin' in the boat trying to put a worm on my hook.

Guess, I'll keep at it. Give it a few more trys, then grab the guitar and see if anything comes then.
I'm really drawning blanks, no idea what my next line should be about.

I was down That way a couple years ago. My X wants to get back together, after twenty + years.
I don't think so. I've nurchered (sp) that bad taste in my mouth for so long, that the thought of havin' her naggin' me to death makes me wanna puke.

Anyway, Hope the best for ya, what ever ya decide.

For me a song almost always starts with something I've just read, heard or seen. Something about it catches my attention and I try to come up with an opening lyric or the first line or hook of a chorus. Every once in awhile, I'll get a melody in my head and start writing lyrics to fit the melody.

I have 4-5 hours set aside each day where I do nothing but try to write, whether just lyrics or composing on the guitar or mandolin. This time is separate from rehearsal and recording time and keeping it as a routine and inviolate has worked well for me. Of course, I still write songs outside that time frame, but they often come from something I was working on during my writing time.

I like BrettB's method of just putting words together to a chord progression or melody and seeing what comes out. I usually end up with one or two stanzas that are the basis for a song. A couple of times what I ended up writing is a song in itself. I'm for whatever works and once you find it, keep doing it.

Your last line is what I've done, Peter. Pretty much.
It works, and I don't try to write a song. It just happens.

I put aside some time each day for my lyrics, but not to write them. I let the song cool down a bit, then I go back and make adjustments in lyrics, melody or chords.

There just ain't no sure fire way to write a song that everyone can use.

B.G. Thanks for the kind words!I am confused..I'll work it out though..Anyways If you do a fishin' song maybe you could go into the "thinking part of the act"..Put yourself in the boat as it were..Alot of folks do there serious thinkin' when they are fishin'..Just a idea ..Good luck bud

Don

Back