Talent - Some write, some sing, some play, few do it all

DigitalDon

I envy those who can do it all. I'm not one of those. My 18 year old son is the talent in the family and he only sings and plays (I get to play with all the gadgets though).

My question is - How can he hook up with a songwriter? His genre is Country (quit hissing). This area (Southwest Ga) does not have much of a talent base to draw from. Believe me, we have tried. We're about to put out a CD of cover songs because he's developed a strong following and they want something. Yeah, we've bought mechanical licenses to keep it all legit. Any ideas or interested writers would be appreciated.

DD

Digitaldon do you have songwriting camps?

Every January the Country Music Assoc of OZ holds a country music school. They hire a boarding school and take in 21 students who live in for two weeks. The concentration is on songwriting and performance and I've gone down twice as the engineer and recorded all their songs.

They finish up with a full concert on the openning night of the Tamworth Country Music Festival where for two weeks Tamworth features all the Major country acts. Like Fanfare in Nashville.

http://www.countrymusic.asn.au/college.html

Maybe you could find something similar in the states.
cheers
john

John,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be checking into whether any songwriting seminars will be held in Nashville this summer. It's about 7 hours from here.

DD

As a "do-it-yourself" response (as appropriate to this board) get him (or you!) to take a look at "Tunesmith" by Jimmy Webb. Talks a lot about the mechanics of song writing, particularly lyric writing.

I'm one of the "play with the toys" guys on here too, but it has just about got me convinced that I might be able to write lyrics...

In any event, it is a good book with some solid information. He repeatedly says "there's more then one way to do it" but he certainly gives a methodology that makes sense and stresses that perspiration rather then inspiration makes most of most songs.

Made sense to me - I recommend it.

I can write one hell of a country song....let me know if u are interested in hearing some of them.....

Talent is everywhere - believe it or not

Digital,

There are innumerable sites on the internet on which to find songwriting collaborators. All you have to do is search. If your son has been performing and involved in music for any length of time I am surprised he has not already met some good songwriters.

I live in a city of only about twenty thousand and I am continually impressed by how much talent is out there. It is everywhere really. There are probably about a hundred people just on this board who can write good country songs.

If your son continues to not only performing, but attend concerts, jam with other musicians, etc. He is bound to meet a good songwriter.

Tucci

I must agree.

Talent is everywhere. The hard part is not finding talent. The hardest thing about this business (and many others) is the leap from being talented to making an income. The hardest part about that is they do not always go hand in hand.
I guess what I'm trying to say is I'll bet that no matter where you are, there are at least a handful of great songwriters that want a shot at getting their songs heard just as bad as your son wants to sing.
Just my $.02.
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Don,

I would suggest(for everyone that reads this) hooking up with Just Plain Folks , just go to the web site at jpfolks.com and check it out. A great organization that actually works together with professional and amatuer alike. I am a member, it is free. There are thousnds of members now and it is growing constantly. You will definitely be able to find someone on there with the message boards.

I am also a songwriter and have some Country songs in my catalog, if you would like to talk more about it, e-mail me and we can go from there.

Carl Towns
http://www.korerecords.com
http://www.cherokeewind.com

Country song for you

Digidon,
e-mail me at envmarty@juno.com if you are interested in a song that may work for your son. I wrote it 3 years ago and it could use a new home.

Hey John, you still want to hear some songs....I was just kidding in that earlier posts but I have some songs Id like some input on....some of them could pass for country....right now all I have are the tapes I used to send in the copyright...just my sad voice, a guitar, a bunch of digital distortion, one pass recordings with mistakes....but Im curious to see what a pro would say about them....

I just found this thread in a search...didnt realize someone had responded to me....

Anyone else looking for songs to record, give me a holla....

Back