Suggestions for my band's singer.

JJBreeze

Whenever I ask for feedback for my band, most of what I hear is complaints about our singer. I mix our music, so I'm used to hearing his voice so much that I can't tell him what to change. I've heard from a few people that his voice sounds a little shaky and that he overuses his vibrato. What do you think?
Here's a link to one of our songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMyAz5LNNYY (vocals start around 0:40)

By the way, he's 17, in case that matters.

Er, well, it's not my type of music, but I must admit to not having heard anything quite like it. He is not out of tune, but seems to have a very weird style as if he was auto tuned, and an odd warble. He also sounds like he is Norwegian, singing in English, as his pronunciation is very strange. For some music genres his voice would fit, but I'm not sure is fits this music style at all. Not rough, no glisses into higher lines, no feeling. Just a Norwegian choir boy singing metal. He isn't a bad singer. It just sounds a mismatch to your music. Odd?

It's the strangest voice I've heard for a while, He sings in tune ok, but he has a really weird vibrato which sounds almost mechanical, or maybe electronic. Maybe it's something you can make a feature of somehow.

Er, well, it's not my type of music, but I must admit to not having heard anything quite like it. He is not out of tune, but seems to have a very weird style as if he was auto tuned, and an odd warble. He also sounds like he is Norwegian, singing in English, as his pronunciation is very strange. For some music genres his voice would fit, but I'm not sure is fits this music style at all. Not rough, no glisses into higher lines, no feeling. Just a Norwegian choir boy singing metal. He isn't a bad singer. It just sounds a mismatch to your music. Odd?

He's not Norwegian, but he does have a heavy influence by his 9 years of taking choir. His voice isn't autotuned at all, but the compression I used on his voice might give it that sort of mechanical sound (I used a preset from a plugin).

he has too much uncontrolled vibrato .... that's the biggest single thing I hear ..... I also find him slightly pitchy but that vibrato is the biggest issue.

Last edited:
He's not Norwegian, but he does have a heavy influence by his 9 years of taking choir. His voice isn't autotuned at all, but the compression I used on his voice might give it that sort of mechanical sound (I used a preset from a plugin).

It would be good to hear his voice as recorded, not with effects, otherwise we can tell whether what we are listening to is natural or a result of fx.

Sounds karaoke-ish. Maybe give him some reverb and bring him down a bit? I think he's going for Serj Tankian but getting something a little more like Donovan. Maybe he can try a growl? Just needs some experimentation and practice, you can tell he can hear the notes so the potential's there I think.

Back