Stuck on some lyrics; somebody inspire me

Arrowhen

Years and years ago I wrote a catchy little pop-punk tune called The Love Songs On Your Radio (Make Me Sick). I was always fond of the lyrics, but the music was just... well, me flirting with generic late 90s/early 00s pop-punk even though I was old enough to know better. ;)

Last night I was getting frustrated with a song I was working on, because I'd changed the music around so much that the lyrics I had for it didn't fit anymore. I realized, though, that the first two verses of The Love Songs On... worked perfectly. The only problem is that the chorus, which sounded just find yelled at 210 bpm, sounds silly sung at 140. So I need to come up with a new chorus and rewrite all or part of the third verse, as it leads directly into the chorus.

I'm pretty much stuck for ideas, probabably because the song has been this way for so long and it's hard for me to imagine it any other way. I'm posting the original lyrics here to see if anyone has any good ideas for the direction the new chorus should take, or at least some kind of suggestion, criticism, or random off-topic comment--you never know what's going to jump-start the creative process.

"the love songs on your radio (make me sick)"

this signal's breaking up, the interference is too strong
and you don't seem to notice anything is going wrong
as you crank the corporate love songs on your grown-up radio
while we're driving way too fast to someplace I don't want to go

the love songs on your radio
make me sick

doubts and contradictions modulating through our brains
we scan through distant stations only finding local pain
running stop signs, glancing sideways, trying to see through my disguise
you tuned my bitter broadcasts into easy listening lies

make me sick

your car won't start, it's getting dark, and you're stuck out in the rain
'cause you played your stupid love songs till your batteries were drained
and you look to me for sympathy but I'm nowhere to be found
I told you I was leaving but my farewell speech was drowned out by

make me sick

could you double up the 'love songs on....' bit and delay it? Like have it said once and maybe pan it a second time with some echo? incredibly lazy i know, but...it might work.

That's actually not a bad idea at all. Although "the love songs on your radio make me sick" seems a little too punky for what's shaping up to be a track that sounds like early New Order.

Oh wow why didnt you say?? Loving new order!! Hmm..id work in something about confusion and aloneness.....no idea what....couldn't you just do a kick ass Peter Hook bass fill a lá Crystal??

Forgive me if I missed the point, but is it the "make me sick" lyric that doesn't fit? I'm guessing so as they are the most "punky".

The rest seems nice to me.

How about "Don't touch me" instead? It counters the idea of love songs and has a double edge.

Just a thought ...

maybe like "love songs on the radio-radio-radio

in my head I keep hearing

'go for it-move ahead-it'not too late-to whipit-whipit good

probably way off base, right?

chazba

Back