Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "stars" succeed with weak songs - WHY?

Thanks

Angry

Sign in to disable this ad
    new, unknown groups usually have to record good, or let's say hooky songs in order to get somewhere. last week I heard a song on the radio - "black coffee" by the All-Saints. I thought: now this is indeed a REALLY weak song - no hooks, no catchy chorus, no good melodies at all. won't make it to the charts, never. today I saw it in the newspaper: nr. 1 in the UK. WHY?
    does good marketing (or good looks :-) really compensate poor songwriting? can "stars" really succeed with any crap?

Walking the highway in a highway colored suit.
    Thanks

Angry

Because we are a CONSUMER CULTURE and "Artists" ...for lack of a better word... have become pretty little plastic things you pull off the shelf and put in your pocket. People are spoiled, stupid and deep as cookie sheets.

Thanks
    you better belive it!!!!
    britney spears has shit songs, but a nice body...

you do the maths

Thanks
    Yes, stars can succeed with any crap.

If you could be signed today, would you? REALLY? I mean, a free haircut is all good and well, but I don't want to be Ricky Martin.

Every accomplished artist I can think of wants out, wants their own company. And many have succeeded.

Thanks to the internet, we really don't have to worry about that much anymore. Someday a unified information service will avail itself, not only to our PCs but cars, work, radios everywhere.

By the way, did I mention Macy Gray is UGLY?! Now THAT is a marketing success story (in terms of sales, not image approval).

Thanks
    OH GOD don't start with Dylan's boy. Horrible new stuff, IMHO. An interesting fellow, needs...

... more work.

Thanks

Thumbs up

There's still such a thing as payola, and if the airwaves are saturated with a mediocre song, the kids buying the shit fall for it because "if it's on the radio, and I've got one of their albums already, then it must be good and I have to have it..."....the new plastic radio conglomorations are supposed to have set playlists, right?....how do the playlists get made?....do you think the record companies might have something to do with that?....also fake call-in requests for songs....usually pre-recorded....grumble...fart....gibs

Thanks
    Actually Gibs, there's ONLY payola now. For the last 30 years any corporate owned radio stations don't play anything they aren't payed to.

What's worse, is that they not only have the power to get awful songs played ad nauseum, but they also have the power to keep good songs off the radio. Back in the heyday of Pink Floyd, the Wall was the bestselling album in the US, and they were playing 4 soldout nights at the Hollywood Bowl. As an experiment, the AR guys decided not to pay the promotion man who covered LA. As a result, no station in LA even mentioned the band.

This sad fact has led to companies "working" the records that cost them the most money to produce, or artists who sold them the publishing rights, since they stand to make more money. Just think about how many times you heard Lenny Kravitz's Fly Away on the radio, and how many people you know who bought the record.

Jeff

Thanks
    I'll do you one better...what's really gross is to hear tone-deaf kids trying to sing this new crap at karaoke shows. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Exclamation

hi
    as jevasy is telling the world of music is going to be a matter of business.I heard somewhere that during the next 100 years later the stars will be famous for about only one day but the money that they will catch for this short time will be enough for their life ,as we can see about the world of movie the story is the same ,do u think for example tom cruse can be famous as long as alen delon ?this is the matter that producers and directors in the moviemaking business like.mankind is changing to have more things with more different flavors and producers are extending it for catching more money.But i like to ask the other songwriters here WHAT WE CAN DO IN THIS CHANGING WORLD?

Thanks

Exclamation

We can IGNORE them!!!

We can listen non-profit radio, either campus or community. We can buy music from independant artists. Go to more live performances, and buy fewer/no corporate CD's.

The sooner we all start ignoring this barrage of CRAP, the sooner they'll stop making money on it and it will go away!!

Thread Information