Spoken word/voiceover microphones and processing

RadioJay

What mic(s) are you using on your own voice during voiceover sessions? What processing? Mine -
Mics
Shure SM5B
Shure SM7
Sennheiser 421
*Western Electric 639B
*RCA BK5A

Processing
Air Corps 500ph
Symetrix 528E
*On ribbons I use a Triton Fethead in line preamp

Old school stuff, I know, but man does it sound clean. What's working for you?

What mic(s) are you using on your own voice during voiceover sessions? What processing?

Old school stuff, I know, but man does it sound clean. What's working for you?

Mics:
EV RE20
Shure SM7B
CAD e100S
Rode NT1A
AT 4033

Strip:
Symetrix 528e
Cloudlifter CL1 for the dynamics
Audient id22 interface

Dale [Old School too]

Big list of available mics like above, but I always start with a 414. I only try others on the rare occasions it does suit somebody's voice.bmost unused mic and frankly a pointless purchase is the sm7b. Just doesn't sound 'British'.

t I always start with a 414. I only try others on the rare occasions it does suit somebody's voice.bmost unused mic and frankly a pointless purchase is the sm7b. Just doesn't sound 'British'.

agreed

This is really harsh advice. Yeah that SM7b sucks. Good for talking outdoors with the windscreen, better than a SM58 at least. I would sell that SM7B and the RE20 and grab a 414. Don't look back.

The RE20 is for kick drums for heaven sakes. SM7B is for podcasting. Big enoughto hide large portions of your face so people cannot read your lips.

The 414 is a swiss army knife. Multi pattern with many facets. Each pattern is fine example of what it is supposed to do. Paired with a nice 'british' preamp youll have a lot there to work with.

Last edited:
Back