Song That Made You Cry

Dougie Johnson

There are probably a few macho rockers out there who won't admit that a song actually made them cry, but the song that makes me blubber like a baby is "You Still Believe In Me", off the Pet Sounds album by the Beach Boys...
What are the songs that found you shocked that you would tear up at them?

First song to make me cry, funnily enough was off the Pet Sounds album also..."God Only Knows"...I was SO in love with this girl in high school.......since then there's been songs that have made me bawl, but usually only when I'd been drinkin'......the exception is "So I'll Run", written by A.B. Strehli Jr. and recorded by Jimmie Dale Gilmore (yeah, I know, I'm the only one here that likes him or has even heard of him probably) on his "Spinning Around The Sun" album.....he's kinda hard to categorize, you either are fascinated with his voice or you're not, and he's country/rock/honkytonk/folk sorta....dig these lyrics from the aforementioned "country" song:

Baby Leonardo must have held his hammer heavy
as he cast a shadow, straight into stone
maybe wisdom comes to those who wait though being weary
I know for myself though, I'll just walk on
and I'll run from you, oh, in the summertime
I know you'll need me when the warm breeze is blowing
you'll want me by your side

Reading it doesn't do it justice, the phrasing is everything plus the chording......gibs

I think maybe one by Gloria Estefan, I'll have to find the title. 'Losing You' or something. And maybe one by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils (Lowlands). I say maybe because it would have been a while ago, and probably when I was drinking. Unfortunately music hasn't played as big a part in my life during the past few years as it used to. Maybe because I don't drink as much. They sort of went hand in hand for many years. Now I'm just an emotionless pig. Oink, oink.

"Time" by The Alan Parsons Project

"Long December" by Counting Crows

"All For You" by Zakk Wylde

"Against the Wind" by Bob Seger

"Leather and Lace" by Stevie Nicks/Don Henley

"Philadelphia" by Neil Young

"Moonlight Sonata" Beethoven

"At Last" by Etta James

and a lot more I can't think of right now. I am an emotional piece of shit pussy bastard.

"Tito, get me a tissue"

I'll admit this only because he's dead now...

...but a couple cuts off One Size Fits All by Zappa do it to me. I know he'd think I was a soft goon for being affected this way, but my theory is that sometimes life uses you as a vehicle for something you never intended. In other words, there's Frank and the boys singing in German and taking the piss out of religion in general and people who take religion seriously in particular, and here I am getting wiped out at the beauty of it. Frank can kiss my ass if he doesn't like it. :)

Any one of you old farts remember a song by Lothar and the Hand People, I think it was called "Standing on the Moon" (not to be confused with the Grateful Dead tune of the same name)? It started off with a complete hypnosis routine, so by the time you were done with the song you were practically tripping and bawling your eyes out from the sheer wonder of the universe. I'd love to get this on MP3 or something...

you know...I can't think of a song that has ever actually made me shed a tear. There have been songs that really moved me, they just haven't made me cry. That seems strange to me since I am a music-addict.

I heard a sextet of girl singers sing an arrangement of "And So it Goes" by Billy Joel. It was so beautiful...you had to have been there. All the men in the audience would have married any one of those six girls at that moment.

What about songs that make you shiver they're so good?

Tucci

Some Tom Waits tunes from "Closing Time" can start up the tears. Also his "The House Where Nobody Lives" on Mule Variations.

I know it was probably overplayed (I don't listen to radio much so if I heard it, it probably was) and a little sappy. But when I found out I was going to be a Dad, "Butterfly Kisses" started making me go misty. It's not so bad now that I have a son, though I haven't heard the one he wrote for his son.....;)

the voice of paul simon makes my cry, cos its so beatiful and innocent. also bands like red house painters and american music club bring out the tears (when yr drinkin alone). sometimes i cry for my own songs, when a cable malfunctions in the middle of a mixdown.

Seals & Crofts used to do it to me......."Wayland the Rabbit" and "The Boy Down the Road" are among the best "weepers"

Weepers

Well, back in my acid days, Jerry used to make me cry when I would see the Dead playing. I don't think that counts though. ;) Post-drug days, the only person who has made me cry through his playing was Jeff Beck, who just killed me when I saw him earlier this year. I think it may have been his version of "A Day in the Life" that did it.

Offhand, the only tune I can think of, though I know there are others, is "God Give Me Strength." I know Elvis Costello wrote it, and I think it's one he penned with Burt Bacharach. It is just so beautiful... The first time I heard it was in the movie "Grace of my Heart," and it broke me up then. Still does it to me sometimes...

The first one that comes to mind is the song they play for the Hallmark Card commercials.

Other than that, I generally cry whenever I hear some of the s##t that comes over MTV when I think that they are actually getting money for singing that s##t!!!!! :mad:

mutt

220 posts? My god, what an old fart.

I cry when I hear most any rap song. Nothing emotional. Just a plain ol' pain in the ass.

Almost as painful as waiting for these site pages to change.

Lennon songs get me for some reason.

Woman: Used to think it was kind of cheesy, then one day I just fell in love with it.

Mother: Primal Scream therapy makes you write about your childhood. This one really hurts.

Beautiful Boy: Given the context that Lennon was killed shortly after this song was written.

Back