So now that you have a song & music... what the hell are you supposed to do with it?

Fmmahoganyrush

Pleads the 5th...
Jeez, I thought writing and recording a song was going to be the hard part. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if my only aspirations were to simply play it over and over again to myself. However, I wouldn't mind getting it into the hands of sombody who could do get the thing a little more exposure than simply to my wife, mother-in-law and two shelties (BTW the shelties are showing signs of listening fatigue, and My wife & MIL don't listen anyway). I'm not trying to market myself as a single artist looking to tour the big stages...I don't have the time or energy for that. But, to get my music into the hands of somebody who would get it into the hands of sombody, who would get it into the hands of somebody... I think you know what I'm trying to say. (who are these somebodys anyway) Any tricks or simple manuvering around published/unpublished - solicited/unsolicited- A&R/No A&R, and all of the other barriers the music industry has built to keep nobody's like myself from getting their stuff to the someboby's in the biz, with out having to sign over your first born male. Thanx. Tom.

It's not what you know it's who you know.

You need to make contacts in the industry, hang out around the right places and all the rest. You know that we all make our own luck don't you?

You could be songwriter in the true sence, write the songs and let others play them, a band who do tour and who are good.

It's like this. I posted the link to my MP3s on the MP3 thread to see if anyone on that line thought they were any good (not necessarily the mix, but at least the music/lyric prospect). No response. With some unbiased feedback, it may help me decide what my options are (pursuing these or practicing saying "would you like fries with that?") Considering the fact that they are my own work, I guess I can post the link to the MP3s here. Check them out at http://www.listeningroom.lycos.com/fan/bands/fmmahoganyrush/Band.html
and give me your best (or worst). I would really like to get "Love Me 'till Labor Day" into the hands of Jimmy Buffett, if anybody has any ideas... Thanx, Tom

Writing and recording your music is the EASY part!
If you want to actually sell it, then you will need the following:
1. Thick skin
2. A working knowledge of how the music industry really works, which can only be obtained through lots of reading and research.
3. Unlimited funds/ or rich uncle
4. Talent
5. Desire: You have to want to devote your entire life to it, not as a hobby.
6. Mobility: Depending on the type of music, be prepared to relocate to New York, Los Angeles or Nashville.

If you lack any one of these, I suggest that you just enjoy writing for the sheer enjoyment of creating.

Buffalo Bob

Back