Singing through MXL 990 USB or Mixer

asaga

I know it's not the greatest of all mics, but the price and sound attract me for recording singing vocals. My question here is for quality, should I buy the USB powered MXL 990, the normal XLR one with an XLR to USB converter, or simply grab something like the behringer 802 for a mixer? I record all my music through USB and the sound is always good, I just need to start adding vocals to it now. What would be the best way to approach recording vocals with the MXL 990?

If you go into the microphone forum you will find that usb microphones are not the way to go and if you do decide to go with usb you will start to have latancy problems.

:cool:

I felt it more suitable in the other forum dedicated to recording. So in this
case however, how should I record with the mic?

Im not sure what your style is.....but if you are more of a Rocker a dynamic mic will do just fine!!!!! SM58, SM57 with a pop filter, or if you can afford one try a SM7B. Im stuck on shure mics.......there are a boat ton of other dynamic mics out there that are very good as well. I bought an MXL 990 a while back, and in my opinion its almost useless.....not because its a bad mic or anything, just for the simple fact of how sensitive it is. I DO like mixing the MXL with my SM57 though!!! Kinda gives a top end clarity to the dynamic sound!!! I like to play/ write papa roach meets drowning pool kinda stuff though. Anyway just a suggestion.

Breaks The FAll

Ah, thanks Keith. So suppose I do grab an sm58, I would then need something like that behringer as a mixer and I should be good to go? I definitley do
metalcore style singing, not screaming, so maybe I'll lean toward the sm58.

Ah, thanks Keith. So suppose I do grab an sm58, I would then need something like that behringer as a mixer and I should be good to go? I definitley do
metalcore style singing, not screaming, so maybe I'll lean toward the sm58.

the 802 is a great little mixer, but it is not an audio interface...you may want to look at something like a tascam 122 or 144, around the same price as the 802 and offer midi and phantom power if you ever felt like buying a condenser or keyboard etc in the future as well as a way to record onto a PC

when buying an sm58 i d pretty much avoid ebay..there are a load of chinese knock offs floating about...either buy local or try something like a sennhesier 835 which delivers similar performance at a similar price and hasnt been copied to death buy some dodgy factory outside Bejing ;)

when buying an sm58 i d pretty much avoid ebay..there are a load of chinese knock offs floating about...either buy local or try something like a sennhesier 835 which delivers similar performance at a similar price and hasnt been copied to death buy some dodgy factory outside Bejing ;)

Like the bottom floor at NAMM. "Hey, there's a Zakk Wylde signature Les Pa... no wait, it says Gizbone on the headstock."

Dynamics can get you a pretty good start at a modest price. If you keep your eyes peeled on the used market, even more so. I like Electro Voice mics personally. I had a few difference Shures (still have one)... the SM58, Beta 58, BG1.0. and the 588SB. All were good, but the beta was a hot one. Though I think I liked the punchy aspect of the SM58 a little more. The EvCo9 seems to fall between these. The Ev N/D267a was a phenomenal mic for the price... they get cheaper used too.

The MXL is supposed to be an ok mic. A friend picked one up a while ago. He hasn't done much with it, so I can't give any feedback as to how it reproduces stuff...but I am sure that I will find out soon enough.

I guess the short reply being: Nothing wrong with a dynamic, and it might even have some benefits for you.

Back