Sing the Verse, SCREAM the Chorus

Queue

Anyone else getting tired of this formula? I listen to the "Rock" stations and it is all I hear...

(Clean Guitar, plinky plinky)
La La, La la la
La La, La la la

(Switch Amp to Meltdown Channel, crunchatey, crunch, crunch)
AAARRRGHY AAARGH AARGH
AAARRRGHY AAARGH AARGH

repeat as necessary, maybe a bridge, feedback into the clean guitar and fade...

Queue

Q..Listening to Rock40 has been proven to cause cancer in laboratory rats and mice...Rapid loss of motorcontrol and insessant drooling..Be careful you are takeing your life in your hands!LoL

Don

Bill Shakespeare said it best..." A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury , signifying nothing" Take Henri Devill"s advice
writeon...chazba

I remember the first time I heard that formula on the radio six or seven years ago. Anyone remember which band and song? It was great ear candy those first few times. Now it's just flat out annoying. Kind of like a girlfriend.

Alice and Chains maybe Sound Garden...It was cool then, they wrote cool tunes....Now its like a hobo wearing a expensive suit you can dress him up but hes still a bum..There isnt any real emotion!!Rock has more cheese than Wisconson right now!

Don

I really can empathize with you guys, I'm sick of "alternative rock" musicians telling me that my music isn't "dynamic" enough and the my chorus's should be loud and the verses should be quiet. Well, to me that's not the true meaning of dynamics.

Has anyone else noticed that most top 40 "rock" music play the same exact chords for the verse as they do for the chorus, it's just that they hit distortion booster pedal for the chorus and scream a little louder. What happened to writing different parts for chorus, bridge, middle 8, solo and verse.

I'm sure it goes back further, but the first time I heard that technique was Zep's "What is and What Should Never Be", which blows all others currently using this method right out of the water..

Like Royston, what bothers me about these idiots is they are using the exact same chords, particularly the I-bVI progression (typically E to C, or D to Bb for Drop D-ers) over and over and over. I never thought I'd actually get sick of hearing an interval.

Cy

Its mainly the record companys/radio station programers..They always milk a style or sound into oblivion..Alot of the time they are only interested in the stuff they see moveing at that particular moment.They dont take many chances!Its all about the bottom line...Oh well what can you do?You just gotta do good work and hope for the best!

Don

Or wait for the "next big thing" to come along...

Or create the "next big thing"...

Queue

I remember the first time I heard that formula on the radio six or seven years ago. Anyone remember which band and song?

The Pixies used that formula over 12 years ago, and they were f***ing brilliant!
Aaaaahhhhh....Listen to the song 'Tame' of the album 'Doolittle'...Now that's dynamics....

:D

Sheet,
I thought I had just stumbled on this formula and was getting ready to release it to the world now you guys went and ruined it on me.:mad:

dragonworks said:
Sheet,
I thought I had just stumbled on this formula and was getting ready to release it to the world now you guys went and ruined it on me.:mad:

I won't say a thing........Mums the word!...LOl

Don

You beat me to it DB.

Doolittle is one of the greatest albums to come out of the US in the last twenty years. It's too bad that Cobain had to have the biggest hit of the 90's with a song he thought sounded too closely copied from the Pixies, thereby guaranteeing that countless mindless talentless drones would bastardize a great idea.

Got Hair Like Cinderella .....

I couldn't agree you more! I'm so full of those songs that repeat the same pattern again and again. When I'm writing a song I try to find something else to the song. It seems like people don't have the guts to try anything different and that makes me sick.

Back