Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sibilance "s" issue and proper db level when recording vocals

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    expensive , but well worth it, is the Ozone editor plug ins that will eliminate this problem with ease.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FingerzAndKeyz View Post
    This link outlines and shows pictures of some of the things suggested here. Sometimes the same thing explained in a different way (including pictures) can help you better understand the technical aspects of things.

[BLOG] Death To Sibilance: A Simple Guide To De-Essing Vocals
    Great link, one more excellent method is Spectral editing. This is now my preferred method if I’m giving a track that needs work. Spectral editing allows you to turn down only the frequencies needed within that spot in the wave form without effecting the other frequencies.
    Last edited by Toastedgoat; 02-03-2019 at 22:28.

Thanks
    Personally - before using remedial tools, I prefer to sort the problem out before recording. I've never been an advocate of 'fix it in the mix'. Sibilance is a pain, but can usually be controlled pretty well. I remember the very first SM57 I bought in the 70s. There was (and still is I think) a very expensive windshield for them, but they came with a strange open cell foam shield. Stitched together from two thin flat patterns. I still remember the odd chemical smell it had. If you put this on the mic, and pulled it about an inch from the front grill, then taped the rear to stop it sliding, you could put it right to your lips and it worked wonderfully on p, b and s sounds. Never found any other foam windshield that did the same thing without sounding dull. I think it was because it slipped in under your nose, and worked on the air coming from your two nasal passages. I lost it years and years ago - and never found another! Later SM57s didn't have them.

Thanks
    I tried all of the physical methods of removing the "s" sibilance, sadly, none of them worked, even with multiple socks and baggies over the mic in various combinations. Pencil did not work. Mic position/orientation/distance variants did not help enough. De-essing using Spitfish did not work the way I hoped as if the "s" sibilance was outside the range of what the de-esser was designed to work with. I now know what an "s" looks like within a waveform and can spot them like a 100 dollar bill. I lowered the s's from -2db to -8db, depending on the severity, and it worked wonders.

Curious,... when lowering an "s" portion of a waveform, should the entire "s" from start to finish be lowered as a whole, or should the middle peaks be lowered to make the "s" portion more flat and even, vs looking like a hill as it was originally?

Thanks
    Im curious about this plugin. Going to give it a demo to see if it works Sibilance – Transparent Vocal DeEsser Plugin | Waves

Thread Information