Seeking Songwriter...

TheRockDoc

Having been on this board for a few months, I feel like most of the people here are 'good guys', so I'm going to throw this out to you. I am in the Virginia Beach area, but travel for business (non-musical). I am seeking a songwriting partner.

Basically, I have been playing guitar for about 25 years with limited vox ability. Former studio owner and active band in the Boston area from about 87-91. I am working on singing mechanics as we speak, but have an excellent ear. I can fill in on bass and keys, but am 99% guitar. I have an expanding home studio.

I had a couple of songs that got radio play as a local unsigned artist in Boston in the mid/late 80's, even though locals were not getting airplay at the time. I have always been with top notch frontmen/women, and have difficulty playing with someone who is not at/of professional caliber- even if it is not their main focus in life that's OK, but the goods have to be there. I write mostly in a style that would best be suited for a non-screaming metal/hard rock voice- raspy blues works as well. Strong sense of pitch, phrasing and emotion is a must. Styles are flexible. Examples of various suitables might be, but not limited to: The Cult, Black Crowes, Shinedown, Ian Gillian, BadFinger, AC/DC. Solid mix of heavy guitars and textured acoustic and keys to complement a singer with writing ability and humble star power.

If sounds like this is who you are, not just what you like, gimme a holla. I don't bite, but I am very honest, and pretty much know if it will work for me- as you should too. Being in the VA Beach area is a huge plus, so pass it on if you know someone here.

IM me through this board

Hey Rock Doc - I think you have stated clearly what you are looking for. That gives everyone who views this the expectations up front. It sounds pretty professional and I am sure the results of your collaboration(s) will be excellent.

Good luck in your quest for a songwriting partner(s)!

TheRockDoc,

Um....well I'll bite. What did you plan to do with the material.... record and promote yourself or were you trying to sell the songs? Are you looking for true creative collabortion on the writing or just professional performers to flesh out your tunes?

I'm a bassist/vocalist/guitarist/harmonica/songwriter etc. "Jack of all trades master of none". You either like the total package or you don't. I do have a song I wrote that some of the fellows here a couple of years back liked well enough to offer up tracks via CD's through the mail. I'm extremely proud of the collaboration. It's an example of the best IMHO that the internet age has to offer.

Good Luck,
Rusty K

I am willing to try anything, but am not great at any certain thing. I write lyrics pretty quickly, come up with basic riffs, and song structures quickly, but they all need refining. I do this for fun, so if this fits, cool. If not, good luck.

My plan is to have a demo tape completed to the extent that I can attract interest in recording with professional engineers to produce a pro package. In the old days, I think it was more important to gig and to develop a following that you could take to a major label. Invariably, someone who never played a gig together would have a hit and then throw a tour together. It always killed me.

WIth internet, downloads and the way things are done now, it's a whole different approach. I can do something at my house on the same equipment many current hits are recorded on. I want to produce something at home, and create an image for a band at home that will be worthy of professional attention. I can write lyrics and have, but want to relinquish to someone I trust. I don't want to have to do it all, basically- I want to focus on other things besides doing everyone elses job :)

I know that there are people out there, between maybe 27 and 40 that are pros, even if they don't spend all there time on it. They are not dreamers, but they have not given up the dream.

Just a little more info for people to digest. Some other influences and styles might be Nickleback, Tesla, Queensryche, Ozzy, Alice in Chains, Saliva...wankers to some but just right for others... not into monster metal, but short of cookie monsters and maybe up to Pantera after a long day for me- but able to diversify

100+ views/4 bites- getting better

Last edited:
RockDoc,
Your posts leave nothing to ask. You've baited the hook about as well as can be so you'll just have to wait for the right person to read it.
Wish it was me, you've got yourself together, but I'm into different styles.
-Hugo

Can someone help me understand how to upload small audio files? I would, in good faith as others have, upload a few parts of songs to give people style ideas but other than having a myspace.com page, I don't know how to do it. Aren't the audio files too large? I see the attachment link on the post page, but it looks like it is only for pics.

Thx

The best way to supply audio files is to put them somewhere on the web. Then you post a link like
in the text of your message here, just like that. (That's a fake link, just so everyone doesn't go clicking on it.)

Where to put them's a different question. Your ISP may give you space as part of your account, a friend might have a server, or you can use anything like myspace, soundclick, or any of a number of services.

How to put them on that space varies with the account, but it's generally a pretty easy process that's self-explanatory as you do it.

Hugo H said:
The best way to supply audio files is to put them somewhere on the web.

Thanks- I'll look into it this week. I've been trying to avoid MySpace because of all the debris that follows you onto your computer. I'll look at a few other options :D

Back