Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the rule of melody writing

Thanks

the rule of melody writing

Sign in to disable this ad
    i wanna give advice to those newcomers at my site who wanna start writing melody
    but i forgot them i think it has 3 ?of melody movement
    one is scalewise
    two is arpegiowise
    then three?
    i can't remember maybe it's intervallicwise?
    anyone?thnx

Thanks
    Hey istyle, have you been drinking?

Thanks
    Hey don't be so mean Krystof01 (although, it was quite funny in a cruel way) remember... different languages.. not everyone speaks english fluently (and I have been drinking)

Istyle, I'm not really sure. Writing melody revolves around so many things. It could be a solo melody, or a melody that goes over top of a chord progression. I'm sure there is a relation there, but why think about it? How can you come up with a 3 variable formula?

I don't think it's possible to explain to anyone *how* to write a melody. Anyone can write a 'melody', whether it's a 'pleasing' melody is cultural dependent, per-person dependent and a dozen other reasons. I find microtonal music somewhat annoying. The odd time I hear something that is acceptable, but most of it is just.. grating. East Indian music for example, it all sounds the same to me, but to people who appreciate it, I'm sure it ROCKS! Rap all sounds the same to me, but again.. someone likes it!

Maybe #3 is microtonal. But I doubt it. Intervalic, maybe.

I prefer dissonance. Constructive dissonance rocks.

A sine wave could be considered a melody(to someone, an alien perhaps). I don't know.

BTW, a good example of a song with 0 melody is Maria Carrie(sp? who cares) I can't for the life of me, figure out what is the point of that song. Wish I could remember the name of it... it's really bad, no melody, no background chord progressions..... WILD! Someone appreciates it though I'm sure.

Thanks

Simplicity

I think the catchiest (not neccissarily the best) melodies are melodies that don't change up or down more than two or three notes at a time in the relavant scale, while the underlying chord changes, change the sound of the note (because it is then a different interval) making it sound complex.

Does that make sense ?

Probably not.

pAp.

the land of the free....been a rebel all my life...and in the finest tradition of being one.
    Thanks
    What do I know about melody? Probably nothing. But to me melody is the creative thing that I give praise and thanks for, the courage to create that is, to the great muse goddess. All that other stuff sounds like the study of harmony and cadence if your into music theory, which really comes into play in devolping melody and orchestration. But melody to me belongs to creativity, and how do you define that?

The last time I had a good idea I think I ran into something with my head, so consider the source.

Thanks
    To a degree; all the best melodies have been taken (though many would disagree). The simplest are usuaully the best and the beatles are the greatest example IN MY OPINION of simple melodies, they last and will last. Try and get hold of music and study it yourself and don't buy books that tell you how to write fantastic melodies. I don't think you can be taught, you have to teach yourself (again many would disagree).

Thanks

RULES??

While there may be 3 possible moves (step,chordal and leading or passing,the last one either going to a new chord or key and which must be resolved) These are according to traditional usage.
    In fact there is only one "rule" and that is that there are no rules.
    If the melody supports the lyric,then it's OK. If you likeit then it's OK. Write-on Chazba

the land of the free....been a rebel all my life...and in the finest tradition of being one.
    Thanks
    If you consider melody and the mathematics of its structure, insert it into any given computer number genrator program, I would think that all of the melody possibilities have been written.
    The age of electronica is upon us and has already passed in that respect. I think all of the classical composers had it easy, when it came to the opportunity for orginal creativty. They also got to make up all of these rules. I think someone had to much time on their hands back then.

I guess there are no rules to melody. It must become the creative expression of melody, espically when it comes to the many timberal nuances of the human voice. I would also have to agree that simple is best, with no more than a 2 to 4 note movement in pitch. Because what I think makes melody great in any piece is when the vast majority of none musicians can remeber and recreate the original work. This give someone's work longivety and eternal life.

People can be really cruel in their critiques of someone's work. I know that I have been when it come to the visual arts. But what I know and believe is that the gift of creativity, no matter how humble the circumstance, is a gift to each of us and we should be protective of that. The consequences of not being are usually destructive, and I cann't count the times I've heard "I hated it" or some variation on that theme of songs that have gone on to be hits.

Thanks
    And you also have to remember that classical composers didn't really hear eachother. It's not like they had that level of communication; you woulld have had to go to see someone to hear them. This means far easier writing. When I'm playing the guitar/any instrument you get drawn to what's right to the ear, it sounds right if it's recognisable usually. What this means in practice is that you are already copying soemthing you've heard.

How many times does that happen. YOu think you've got something good, then you think hold on a minute. Increase the tempo a little, play it through again..........oh that's the beatles.....oh that's the stones............zeppelin etc etc.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Melody is simplicity. Listen to Chopin. Listen to Mozart.
    After all the notes, after all the chords, there is simple, beautiful melody.

Thread Information