Rate my singing/songwriting within a 1-10 scale(1sucks-10superbish!) and why?

Lantern111

I attached 2 songs. The Centre is a song that I recently wrote. It is somewhat folky... I do not believe that I fit into any genre in the modern world, but I may be wrong. Please, assist me in your consumer ways! Ha, I am messing, you are all beautiful musicians with your own expressions to lend to the world. I need your professional point of view. I record live on a hand held recorder. No mixing cuts or fills. I record one take. I need advice on recording with a hand held with a built in mic.

The second song is a collaboration. Me and my good friend "J Bot" comprise the tune. We will call it "WOP".mp3. I only provided the vocals and we both wrote the lyrics. Let me in on some of the strong points and some things to work on. Thanks for "taking the time to listen to me rhyme." Ha.:oView attachment The Centre(sample).mp3View attachment WOP.mp3

Great voice. If I had to pigeonhole you it would be indie. You should start a career in the music business ( if you're still young and good looking )

Ha! That is funny dude. I am fairly good looking.. at least my mom seems to think so... I am somewhat young in age and spirit. Ripe age of 26(I look like I'm 22). I appreciate the feedback. I create music for the medicinal purpose of finding my self. I will keep the music biz in mind. Thanks again. I will add to your rep power... whatever that consists of...

Ha! That is funny dude. I am fairly good looking.. at least my mom seems to think so... I am somewhat young in age and spirit. Ripe age of 26(I look like I'm 22). I appreciate the feedback. I create music for the medicinal purpose of finding my self. I will keep the music biz in mind. Thanks again. I will add to your rep power... whatever that consists of...

26 years old - still 2 years of American Idol, and unlimited time on X Factor or America's Got Talent.

Your song is nice and melodic but music today relies heavily on good hooks, you need something in the song that I will remember even with my incredibly short attention span.

Nice voice though, definitely indie singer/songwriter stuff.

There's a difference between being a good vocalist and good singer. My voice teachers would call you breathy, clipping vowels etc. But for your genre I would say that it is more important to be a good singer than a good vocalist. Josh Radin and Regina Spekter are my two favorite examples of great singers that are mediocre vocalists. In this regard, I enjoyed your singing very much. Good technique, inflection, and emotion. 7.5

There's a difference between being a good vocalist and good singer. My voice teachers would call you breathy, clipping vowels etc. But for your genre I would say that it is more important to be a good singer than a good vocalist. Josh Radin and Regina Spekter are my two favorite examples of great singers that are mediocre vocalists. In this regard, I enjoyed your singing very much. Good technique, inflection, and emotion. 7.5

Thanks for the insight. I am going to be sharing another jam shortly. I am attempting to molest my steinberg interface so that I can create better recordings. No more handheld, If I get it right.

David check out my latest threads. I have completely lost my mind.

Nice voice. Average recording. Dull song. I didn't make it all the way through because I've heard a million songs all exactly like it.

It's nice to have a good voice, but you need something decent to sing.

You could add some other textures and counter melodic stuff to what you have, but I just don't think there's enough of a song there for it to really be a great tune.

Keep at it. Good start.

Nice voice. Average recording. Dull song. I didn't make it all the way through because I've heard a million songs all exactly like it.

It's nice to have a good voice, but you need something decent to sing.

You could add some other textures and counter melodic stuff to what you have, but I just don't think there's enough of a song there for it to really be a great tune.

Keep at it. Good start.

Thanks for the feedback. Check my new tune, "high ground". It is a better recording as well as interesting.

Back