Rap or singing? To tune or not to tune? *urgent*

Big Thier

Hi everybody,

I am almost done with this song which has a mix of singing and rapping. I'm the singer.

I have a scheduled session tomorrow for vocal tuning, that's why it is quite urgent I get you guys' advice.

Some parts are clearly rap vocals which don't need tuning. But there are some parts which I'm unsure if there are actual notes or if I should treat them as rap vocals.

Here's a demo. There is no tuning on the vocals:
Mahal pt. 2 (demo).wav - Google Drive

Here are the parts which I hesitate if I should tune or not:
1:22-1:29
1:49-1:54
1:54-2:07
2:40-2:45
2:49-2:59

These parts I'm pretty sure are rap/spoken word only:
1:16-1:17
2:08-2:20
2:27-2:33
2:46-2:49

If you guys could *please* chime in, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Honestly, if I were producing this, I probably wouldn't tune any of it. Or if I did, it would be very subtle and on a note-by-note basis.

It's almost all sung. The parts you're unsure about are pretty much all sung (even if you're only singing one or two notes). Your vocal tends towards the kind of nasal 90s-2000s pop-punk/emo tone. Heavy autotune would sound really weird and probably pretty terrible.

If you're not happy with the tuning of some of the notes, try retracking. it doesn't sound like you're having any real difficulty hitting them.

In Cubase 10, I'd not use autotune but the new vocal tweaking editor where you could just work on the slight mis-pitches. This would leave the nice slides you make into some notes alone. I don't think it's in serious need of an all over tune, just a few slight slips.

I'm just getting it tuned with Melodyne. It is barely noticable. I might as well throw some light Auto-Tune on it afterwards.

Thanks for your comments.

What about the rap parts? I haven't touched those for now.

Back