push yourself

grn

what are some methods of pushing yourself to be more creative lyrically and musically? when have you gone to far? when do you know if it's really good material? answer me, please. how do producers (such as rick rubin) get it out of you.

I usually try to do new things no matter how weird or seemingly stupid the idea is I just at least try to go with it for as long as it moves me or inspires me.

One thing I do is record a little chord progression and loop it and just start humming melodies along to it and then I just think about my day and start writing down my improv.

I think it's important to produce an 'interesting' sounding recording, rather than just a 'perfect' recording.

By that I mean you could produce a superb sounding piece which has perfect guitar parts and vocals etc, but is just plain bland. On the other hand you can come up with an 'interesting' or unusal sound which grabs the listener's attention and that can be far more useful in getting you noticed than trying to achieve perfection.

It really depends on the genre you're working in of course as some genre's are more open to experimentation with unusual sounds (rap, dance, techno) than others (guitar rock, country). It's important to develop your own sound as an artist which is disctinctive, rather than trying to copy what's gone before.

Those are my takes on this.

glynb said:
It's important to develop your own sound as an artist which is disctinctive, rather than trying to copy what's gone before.

Those are my takes on this.

indeed. it's good to be revolutionary, yet still have some sort of conformity. if you sound like every other thing out there, you will end up just being thrown out.

about motivation, i don't really like to force myself to write. it will come out incomplete and deluded. if i want to try to get something done, i like to go to a place when i can just relax and let my emotions run freely

Back