Pros and cons of mike distance?

gjdagis

I tend to keep my recording mike about 4 feet from me. Is this detrimental to the sound? The reason why I do it is because I tend to overload the signal during certain passages of a song. What advantages or disadvantages does moving the mike closer or keeping it distant have on the sound. Thanks so much for your opinions. :)

Overload with what, a stack of 4x12 Marshall cabs?

4 feet is going to pick up a lot of room sound. If your room sounds good, or sounds like nothing, it might work, but it's unusually far (in my admittedly limited experience) for a single mic kind of recording setup.

Overload with what, a stack of 4x12 Marshall cabs?

4 feet is going to pick up a lot of room sound. If your room sounds good, or sounds like nothing, it might work, but it's unusually far (in my admittedly limited experience) for a single mic kind of recording setup.
Yes. And to add.. One wants to be able to choose the tone balance -proximity effect for one, and the amount of the room's effect in some cases if it's desired- with varying your mic distance.
Some mics have a rather strong output, some inputs have a bit too much gain even set to min.
If that's what you're seeing the answer is to get one of the in-line XLR attenuators. That way you have the latitude to choose your tone balance -by way of the working distance.
I picked AT8202s for the versatility, but once you check how much attenuation you need (max' voice a few inches away for example) you can save a bit with one of single setting pads.
XLR attenuators. - Google Search

Back