Thread: Is it possible to completely remove vocals from an mp3?

Thanks

Is it possible to completely remove vocals from an mp3?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Which is the best software to do this?

Thanks
    What's possible and what's affordable are substantially different things. With the really expensive software you can do pretty amazing things, but with what you can probably afford there are significant limits to what can be done, much of which depends on how a song is mixed. Also, you'll want to start with the original uncompressed audio file. An mp3 file has already been heavily processed in a way that probably doesn't make vocal reduction easier.

Thanks
    Some MP3 player software includes a karaoke option by removing anything that's central in the stereo image. You can hear artefacts, but it's surprisingly effective. Whether it's good enough depends entirely on your purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    You can't layer shit with another layer of shit and expect it to sound like anything other than multiple layers of shit

Thanks
    Probably need more information on what you are trying to accomplish. As other posters have indicated, the quality of vocal removal you are trying to achieve really determines the answer to your question. What exactly are you trying to do with the song by removing the vocals?

Thanks
    I use this one, it is pretty good. it removes 90 percent of the vocal, sometimes you can still hear a little of it.

Vocal Remover Pro Software

Thanks
    I would like to be able to sing and record my own vocals with the backing music...

Thanks
    There are also sites where you can spend a little to get re-recordings of popular songs for this.

I have used this site where they even have options on most songs to have the individual instruments and vocals separate (Custom Backing Track). You could even leave the backing vocal track in the mix and record the lead vocal yourself.

Karaoke-Version
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    There are also sites where you can spend a little to get re-recordings of popular songs for this.

I have used this site where they even have options on most songs to have the individual instruments and vocals separate (Custom Backing Track). You could even leave the backing vocal track in the mix and record the lead vocal yourself.

Karaoke-Version
    You know Jimmy, that might not be a bad sticky for the singing thread. I didn't listen to the examples, but a lot of people who visit that area of the board would probably find these type of sites useful.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

Thanks

Found a way

Hey I'm sorry for bumping this old thread but I think my info will help people who still are looking for a good way to remove vocals using software.

So, I've bumped on a software called RX 7 audio which is a great software overall and has a trial version available, so you can test it out. It works better than Audacity in my opinion and has a lot of other good features to improve audio.

If you are looking for cheap and affordable paid vocal removal though, I'm using a guy on Fiverr for a long time and am pretty satisfied with the result. I don't know how the hell he manages to do the job (as he doesn't remake the songs completely) but the vocals are like 99% removed with little impact on the audio (at least on the songs I had).

You can check him out if you want, his name is petark777 on fiverr and makes 1 song for $5 or 3 songs for $10.

I've tested other programs as well but none seem to provide a good enough result as of yet...

Thanks
    The problem is that there is no guarantee that the vocals will remove properly - and I've never been able to tell without trying. I found a few people with the software, and a few online remote processing services and a few clean up perfectly, and others are simply horrible. If you need things quick and easy - but the karaoke tracks. You could spend money on recovery services and still be very disappointed.

Thread Information