Please give feedback :)

For sure.
I spent ~2-3 yrs songwriting and playing my songs pretty much weekly on stage in a 'listening room' type setting where songwriters met and only were allowed to play original songs. No drum machines or karaoke, a guitar and a mic, maybe a fiddle.
It was a strict listening room- no talking playing pool none of that. If you werent in there to listen intently you pretty much were encouraged not to go to that venue on that night of the week.
There was a guy there who founded the place who was a songwriter and a big supporter of songwriters. He recently died, but what I got out of that experience was not everyone can make it as a singer/songwriter. Even if youve got the gift you still have to work to develop it.
Another thing I got was it is essential that you know youre personal range/key your voice fits/type of singing you are naturally inclined to excel at.
Its also extremely helpful to have ppl who will tell you the truth in love and to do the same to others yourself.
I will say that there is a place where music really is full of love and no ulterior motives. There also is a lot of 'business' behind the music thats sold concerts etc.
There are ppl who sign contracts get paid a salary and go into offices most days and write songs. There are ppl who sign contracts get paid to record those written songs and travel around playing them over and over to sell albums and merchendise. Sometimes the money ppl put making money over other things- and giving the ppl what their ppl/sources/data/etc tell them they want is how they do that.
Id almost compare it to a company making products that they think the masses will buy- they market it and try to create loyal customers by finding a singer that fits an image they can sell or molding a singer into that image they can sell. Their strategy is to sell product, and if that means getting ppl to become followers to the point of wanting to be like an artist etc to create a fanbase that will keep buying, they dont care if its destructive to individuals.

I dont mean to get too deep into all of this but my point is to point you to God. He cares about us and loves us. He wont put money over us.
Im a Christian- meaning I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God- and I know idolotry might bring to mind images of statues and burning incence and chanting or whatever, but the truth is that putting anything above/considering anything/anyone as more important to follow/serve look to for direction etc instead of God is the same thing. Gods got an awesome plan and He will guide you if you look to Him. If that plan includes professionally singing, He will help you to the point where no one can stop that plan from happening if youll do it the way He says to. Just look to Him. If His plan doesnt include singing professionally- that means Hes got something better in mind.

Maybe this is for you, maybe a reminder for me, or maybe someone else, but this is a lesson Ive learned.

I get where you're coming from with saying that not anyone can be a songwriter, but I believe that if the song is coming from your heart and soul you can't go wrong with it, same kinda goes with singing, but with that you do have to be able to hear what's wrong with your tone etc.. If I were ever to become a singer, I would definitely write my original songs, and wouldn't really let other people do it for me, especially if the song has some meaning..

Well, about the second part, I don't agree completely, I believe "everyone creates their own destiny" as the saying goes, if you don't try hard and put a lot of work in to it, and I don't mean just singing etc. I mean everything else in life you won't be able to make it, if you just sit at home and do nothing, then there's a small possibility that many good things will happen, dedication, hard work, creativity and other stuff are the key.. and by no means am I trying to say anything against your opinion, It's just my personal opinion.

That 'coming from your heart and soul' - if you get a song right ppl will get that goosebump feeling- thats when youre expressing something that touches the listener at a deeper level. I dont know if youve ever felt that...i think most everyone has at least experienced it once.

I didnt mean dont write your own songs man- I was just saying there is a big machine out there. Record labels keep writers on salary and in exchange get to contractually own their songs. They keep singers on salary and those singers sing songs the writers wrote.
For ex- theres a guy named Dean who moved to nashville, wrote and sang his own songs for years and had some success. He was a great songwriter, and still is, but his voice even though it was good wasnt exactly what the record companies thought they could market.
Then a guy named George went to nashville later on 3 different times to record demos and try to get a career going. He wrote some but his main strength was his voice.
After Georges third try a guy put a business deal together where he took Deans songs and had George sing them.
Dean Dillon has since written ~75% of George Straits top selling songs, and now he writes for other artists.

Thats just 1 example of what Im talking about. Two people with different gifts combining them to make what people would buy.

For sure thats not every situation. There are tons of ppl who write their own songs and sing them too- and some end up being really successful at selling albums concert sales etc.
I was just letting you know what I learned about the business side of music- at least with major labels.

Thanks for what you said about working hard. I agree that you can know what to do have everything going for you and if you dont show up and put in the required work on your part its a wasteful loss of opportunity and life. Nice reminder for me man.

Maybe ill see your original stuff up on here or youtube in the future. Im interested to hear your own stuff man.

O hey btw- y not go out into the country somewhere where ppl arent within hearing range- or where if someone hears you theyre someone who probably wont see you again- and just sing your heart out just to get rid of that feeling of not knowing what you sound like full blast... maybe youll find out you have nothing to be embarrased about, maybe youll find out you still have the same things in your singing to work out- either way at least youll know :)

Peace
Matt

That 'coming from your heart and soul' - if you get a song right ppl will get that goosebump feeling- thats when youre expressing something that touches the listener at a deeper level. I dont know if youve ever felt that...i think most everyone has at least experienced it once.

I didnt mean dont write your own songs man- I was just saying there is a big machine out there. Record labels keep writers on salary and in exchange get to contractually own their songs. They keep singers on salary and those singers sing songs the writers wrote.
For ex- theres a guy named Dean who moved to nashville, wrote and sang his own songs for years and had some success. He was a great songwriter, and still is, but his voice even though it was good wasnt exactly what the record companies thought they could market.
Then a guy named George went to nashville later on 3 different times to record demos and try to get a career going. He wrote some but his main strength was his voice.
After Georges third try a guy put a business deal together where he took Deans songs and had George sing them.
Dean Dillon has since written ~75% of George Straits top selling songs, and now he writes for other artists.

Thats just 1 example of what Im talking about. Two people with different gifts combining them to make what people would buy.

For sure thats not every situation. There are tons of ppl who write their own songs and sing them too- and some end up being really successful at selling albums concert sales etc.
I was just letting you know what I learned about the business side of music- at least with major labels.

Thanks for what you said about working hard. I agree that you can know what to do have everything going for you and if you dont show up and put in the required work on your part its a wasteful loss of opportunity and life. Nice reminder for me man.

Maybe ill see your original stuff up on here or youtube in the future. Im interested to hear your own stuff man.

O hey btw- y not go out into the country somewhere where ppl arent within hearing range- or where if someone hears you theyre someone who probably wont see you again- and just sing your heart out just to get rid of that feeling of not knowing what you sound like full blast... maybe youll find out you have nothing to be embarrased about, maybe youll find out you still have the same things in your singing to work out- either way at least youll know :)

Peace
Matt

Yeah, I get what you're saying man haha..

And yeah, I have to remind myself here and there that hard work is needed.. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll post my songs when I write them for sure, but that might be soon and might not, I don't wanna write songs just to write them, it's easy to write a song, it's hard to write a good song..

Cheers man!

Hard work produces success- if you look to God He will tell you what to do and youll have right success, real success- thats what I meant.
:)
Cheers Denisings
Matt

It's lack of emotion!
And your breath controllability is still not good, so the song just "flow" from the beginning to the end! But your singing is still find, acceptable!
Next time when you want to cover a song, you should listen to the song and feel it, understand it! That will give you some emotion in singing!

It's lack of emotion!
And your breath controllability is still not good, so the song just "flow" from the beginning to the end! But your singing is still find, acceptable!
Next time when you want to cover a song, you should listen to the song and feel it, understand it! That will give you some emotion in singing!

I definitely need to put more emotion into it, I have to try and sing something without it being karaoke so I don't concentrate on the lyrics but on the song itself.. Thanks for your advice though :D

I definitely need to put more emotion into it, I have to try and sing something without it being karaoke so I don't concentrate on the lyrics but on the song itself.. Thanks for your advice though :D

I think you had the right idea emotion-wise (at least in the Youtube Vid, which is the one I listened to a number of times.)

I think that some production glitches got in the way of the emotional delivery. If you sort those out, I think the emotional delivery will sort itself out.

Although I do not agree that it is as flat as some people seemed to have convinced you it is, I did notice a few pitch issues.

Pitch discernment is subjective, however. I think that some people pay closer attention to higher overtones in discerning pitch. So, if you sing quietly or low, they may think you are singing flat or pitchy. They may also find mellow tones more difficult to read.

I think the song just needs some study and repetition. Your emotional interpretation seemed fine to me. You don't want to tinker with something that is natural, unless you are sure that it really is the problem. If you make it artificial, it is not so easy to reverse.

I think you had the right idea emotion-wise (at least in the Youtube Vid, which is the one I listened to a number of times.)

I think that some production glitches got in the way of the emotional delivery. If you sort those out, I think the emotional delivery will sort itself out.

Although I do not agree that it is as flat as some people seemed to have convinced you it is, I did notice a few pitch issues.

Pitch discernment is subjective, however. I think that some people pay closer attention to higher overtones in discerning pitch. So, if you sing quietly or low, they may think you are singing flat or pitchy. They may also find mellow tones more difficult to read.

I think the song just needs some study and repetition. Your emotional interpretation seemed fine to me. You don't want to tinker with something that is natural, unless you are sure that it really is the problem. If you make it artificial, it is not so easy to reverse.

Well I think the song on youtube that I did wasn't emotionless, might be kinda flat to some people, but that's the way I sang it without any advice on my singing.. it's not that other songs I sing are emotionless either, but I don't really put my all into them because I don't want anyone to hear me as I said before so that affects my performance. And I agree with the last part, I should try to improve but not try to change my style or make it artificial because that is spotted easily.. Thanks for the comment btw!

There's nothing wrong with using backtracking tracks. It's a good way to practice and many people use them live. So embrace your "karaoke" music and keep singing.

Pitch, however, in non-negotiable. When you say, "yeah, I can hear that I don't hit the right notes sometimes, but I guess I can work on that" it tells me either you aren't very serious about your singing or don't realize the extent of the pitch problem. You need to be able to be on pitch, every note, all the time. If you play with pitch, it should be intentional, always, and used for effects you want to create. So make that a goal and work toward it.

There's nothing wrong with using backtracking tracks. It's a good way to practice and many people use them live. So embrace your "karaoke" music and keep singing.

Pitch, however, in non-negotiable. When you say, "yeah, I can hear that I don't hit the right notes sometimes, but I guess I can work on that" it tells me either you aren't very serious about your singing or don't realize the extent of the pitch problem. You need to be able to be on pitch, every note, all the time. If you play with pitch, it should be intentional, always, and used for effects you want to create. So make that a goal and work toward it.

Well, it gives you impression that I'm not very serious, and maybe I'm not, but I like to sing but as I stated before I'm not very confident about it and I'm pretty sure that also affects my pitch.. I'm not gonna be delusional and say that I don't have any pitch issues when I sing more relaxed, but I'm pretty sure there is less of them.. But yeah, I can't really get serious about my singing before I get over my "fear" of singing in front of people.. It's easy to put it on here since no one knows me here, so even if I was the worse singer I could always delete the post or something similar, but it's not as easy to sing in public..

I hear ya. Even Sinatra said he got stage fright every time he walked up to the mic. Learning to deal with it is part of learning to sing. You just have to kind of accept the fear and learn to sing through it. But through practicing fundamentals you'll gain confidence and that will reduce your nerves. Breathing properly will help a lot with the pitch as will vocalizing (exercises). Mark Baxter (no affiliation) has some great free videos dealing with these issues. Check him out on Youtube and make a playlist of the ones that are most help to you at this stage. You need to work on fundamentals before you start worrying about singing in public. Post back here and let us know how it's going. :)

Back