please critique this singing

sharonclowe

this is my daughter and me...there are parts of this where I was really happy with the sound, and then a few parts that make my eye twitch, hahaha. If you have a chance, could you please make a notation where it sounds off to you (like the number thing. For example I think the vocals are "off" at 2:31...but not sure if everyone else hears the same thing as me.) Maybe it is off in several places and I'm just not objective enough since I've heard it so many times.

And, if you have any suggestions for how we could improve our singing, please let me know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13390899/Can't Wait v3.mp3

Last edited:
It sounds a lot better when you harmonize than when you double each other.

It would be improved if you guys traded verses with occasional harmony or doubling and harmonized fully on the hook, instead of singing together all the time.

I don't think you can improve your singing, because it is basically right on pitch, and the voices are lovely. But it's a bit bland and emotionless. Let your hair down and slide and groan a bit. The glitch at 2:31 only sticks about because the rest of the singing is impeccable. I don't personally like the song, BTW, but that's not what you asked about. I'd be happy to provide a backing track which might pump it up; email me. Please see my website, where I am looking for virtual musicians.

It's great that you are doing this kind of thing with your daughter -- that's a hands-on parent!

Best Wishes

Seth Mould

There were a few one-word spots where you guys or just a touch off...like the "forever" at :59 and again at the end, but overall it's pretty solid.

Maybe when you are singing the monitoring isn't good enough for you guys to hear your own voices clearly at times, and that's why you have those few minor glitches...?...but like, if you sang this at an open-mic...no one would notice them. :)

I don't think you can improve your singing, because it is basically right on pitch, and the voices are lovely. But it's a bit bland and emotionless. Let your hair down and slide and groan a bit. The glitch at 2:31 only sticks about because the rest of the singing is impeccable. I don't personally like the song, BTW, but that's not what you asked about. I'd be happy to provide a backing track which might pump it up; email me. Please see my website, where I am looking for virtual musicians.

It's great that you are doing this kind of thing with your daughter -- that's a hands-on parent!

Best Wishes

Seth Mould

Hi Seth...thanks for listening! I appreciate your sincerity. Not sure if I'm up to sliding and groaning just yet, lol...but I will certainly keep that in mind! Your post doesn't mention your website, so not sure how to find that...but you're welcome to tinker with the song if you'd like. Maybe some of my other tracks that would be more to your liking. My daughter is an all-grown-up 24 yr old....but we have a lot of fun singing together.

There were a few one-word spots where you guys or just a touch off...like the "forever" at :59 and again at the end, but overall it's pretty solid.

Maybe when you are singing the monitoring isn't good enough for you guys to hear your own voices clearly at times, and that's why you have those few minor glitches...?...but like, if you sang this at an open-mic...no one would notice them. :)

Hi Miro...yep, :59 is one of those spots that makes my eye twitch! This was actually the very first time we ever recorded anything. The whole process was a new experience for us for sure....so hopefully future attempts will show some improvement!

It sounds a lot better when you harmonize than when you double each other.

It would be improved if you guys traded verses with occasional harmony or doubling and harmonized fully on the hook, instead of singing together all the time.

Hello FunkDaddy....cool name by the way...thanks for listening. I'm pretty sure "doubling" means when we are both singing the same note, right? I think you might be right about the harmony overkill. This song is probably one of the weakest I've written...:o :spank: :D *. I wrote it about 20 yrs ago, and not that I've become a musical/lyrical genius since then, but I do think some of my more recent stuff is a little better. I will probably scrap this one vs correcting the problems....but either way, I am enjoying learning bits and pieces about recording and you and the others taking the time to comment really helps me.

*nah....I've written waaaay worse junk than this!

Don't scrap it. I really like the song. It has an heart felt feeling to it that anyone that has ever longed for someone would know. The singing is not perfect but music that speaks from the heart should not be perfect. It should show us as humans not machines cranking out the same old perfectly in tune garbage time after time after time. Keep up the good work.

Back