Online ryhming dictionary..........

LOL....Yeah tell me about it .You difinately have a point there.Oh what the hell it can always help a little though.I don't always use the dictionary .but it helps a great deal when I get stumped.

have a good one:-)
-Chris-

I was very skeptical about these at first. I thought that poetry wouldn't be pure and "real" - an art, if I used this. But let's face it, sometimes you're looking for a word and you'll write out rhyming words on a paper - you're doing the same thing, only the machine is better at it. Now I think that this can be a useful tool. They're a little dumb, so you have to learn to use them. It can also force you to learn about meters, types of rhymes and things like that. They're not required for writing poetry (I mean poetry theory, meters, etc.), but they can help write and apreciate.

Also rhyming dictionaries (there's many on the web) are useful to me because English is not my native language - I only started speaking it at 18.

Words and phrases that rhyme with orange: (0 results)

mwuahhaha

one day you'll be writing a song called "I really want to eat an orange"

you'll goto that website and be thrown into utter chaos........

I don't like this site at all, it kind of goes against how i feel words should be constructed. But if the lyrics you're writing aren't heart wrenching and passionate, it probably wouldn't personally hurt you to use the site i guess.

I'm more of a thesaurus person myself.

Perhaps when they have some 'legendarily profound and witty' generator i'll start worrying.

you can rhyme orange.
its all in how you say it,

say this outloud...

"i'm rambling flows, excuse me while i peel this orange/
and lifes a mechanical bull, but i'll steal it's horns/"

^ lame rhyme?....yes, but does it rhyme?.....yes.

oh, and rhyming dictionaries are blasphamous.

ethos said:
you can rhyme orange.

say this outloud...

Thanks. I write historical songs about California and one I'm working on is about the Parent Orange Tree in Riverside. Orange trees are all clones in case you didn't know and all California oranges are traced to this one tree from the 1870's.......still living btw.

Anyway, you gave me a great idea.

I kind of like rhyming dictionaries sometimes. Though they're to literal and don't consider all phonic possibilities, there's often something interesting in their 'b' lists.

Duhhhhhhhh....As if one of these would be the soul resource for writing?
These ARE great if you are stumped...better than using some un-ryhming word which takes away from the flow,just to be able to say,"Ryhming Dictionary? Never use them. I only let MY brain "do the walking". Sounds somewhat egotistcal to me...Oh, by the way, I use a Merriam-Webster also...guess that would imply one is impassionate and un-heart wrenching...Of course using a Thesaurus makes one so much more talented... :rolleyes: Passionate?...Heart wrenching?... :eek: :D

Originally Posted by ethos
you can rhyme orange.

say this outloud...

you must have some crazy lisp thing going on there, because there is no way i can get orange to rhyme with horns!!! door hinge maybe, but not horns.

ethos said:
you can rhyme orange.

say this outloud...

And what does "I'm rambling flows" mean? I don't understand that at all.

And yeah I don't think "horns" rhymes with "orange" either.

It's just a tool, not something that should become a crutch. I've never used one, but I can see its usefulness. My lyrics are usually fairly simple, I don't want to get that deep. I might scare myself.
But the great songwriters have always used different tools to get the job done. Take a look at Rush's site and check their reading lists. These guys are deep thinkers.
Use what you have to use to get the job done. If that includes a rhyming dictionary when you get stumped, so be it.

cliff richard said:
you must have some crazy lisp thing going on there, because there is no way i can get orange to rhyme with horns!!! door hinge maybe, but not horns.

I disagree. Is it a perfect rhyme? No. Half rhyme, near rhyme, slant rhyme, assigned assonance.....yes. More important is the context of use, especially how it's delivered in a song.

Anyway, thanks ethos, I got my song done......and I needed another one with a little humor. California state historical landmark # 20. Target audience is 3rd and 4th grade kids as part of a presentation covering history-social science and language arts with science. This will be through Orange County Performing Arts Center and the Inland Empire Library summer reading program. Also grown ups that are into history.

NOTHING RHYMES WITH ORANGE

From the government came a gift, to Riverside for Eliza Tibbets
Words cannot describe the thrill, three baby seedlings from Brazil
Planted on a gentile hill, in 1873

They grew up from tiny shoots, to sweet and tasty seedless fruit
And to this day one still survives, on Magnolia Street in Riverside
Our navel oranges owe their lives, to the Parent Orange Tree

The orange trees they did abound, she thought she’d spread the word around
A poem of her trees she’d write, and get it done that very night
But her paper lay there blank and white, it would take a little time

To her husband she said “Luther dear, it seems I’m stuck, I’m close to tears
For no words come to where I’m goin, with my lovely citrus poem
My page is blank with nothin’ showin’, I can’t get orange to rhyme”

Ch)
No nothing rhymes with orange
It had Eliza quite forlorn
How can one inform she mourned
When nothing rhymes with orange?

Take the bull by the horns
To find words she could transform
Verse and prose she could adorn
But nothing rhymes with orange

No not a word she could reform
She’d made herself a bed of thorns
Why not Tangerines? She thought in scorn
Be the fruit that I had born
No nothing rhymes with orange, nothing rhymes with orange

Verse) How did oranges come on the scene? It’s a pomelo and a tangerine
Pollinated by chance you see, by our little flying friend the bee
We’re fortunate and quite lucky, to have the navel orange…..but

Ch)

philboyd studge said:
I disagree. Is it a perfect rhyme? No. Half rhyme, near rhyme, slant rhyme, assigned assonance.....yes. More important is the context of use, especially how it's delivered in a song.

Anyway, thanks ethos, I got my song done......and I needed another one with a little humor. California state historical landmark # 20. Target audience is 3rd and 4th grade kids as part of a presentation covering history-social science and language arts with science. This will be through Orange County Performing Arts Center and the Inland Empire Library summer reading program. Also grown ups that are into history.

NOTHING RHYMES WITH ORANGE

From the government came a gift, to Riverside for Eliza Tibbets
Words cannot describe the thrill, three baby seedlings from Brazil
Planted on a gentile hill, in 1873

They grew up from tiny shoots, to sweet and tasty seedless fruit
And to this day one still survives, on Magnolia Street in Riverside
Our navel oranges owe their lives, to the Parent Orange Tree

The orange trees they did abound, she thought she’d spread the word around
A poem of her trees she’d write, and get it done that very night
But her paper lay there blank and white, it would take a little time

To her husband she said “Luther dear, it seems I’m stuck, I’m close to tears
For no words come to where I’m goin, with my lovely citrus poem
My page is blank with nothin’ showin’, I can’t get orange to rhyme”

Ch)
No nothing rhymes with orange
It had Eliza quite forlorn
How can one inform she mourned
When nothing rhymes with orange?

Take the bull by the horns
To find words she could transform
Verse and prose she could adorn
But nothing rhymes with orange

No not a word she could reform
She’d made herself a bed of thorns
Why not Tangerines? She thought in scorn
Be the fruit that I had born
No nothing rhymes with orange, nothing rhymes with orange

Verse) How did oranges come on the scene? It’s a pomelo and a tangerine
Pollinated by chance you see, by our little flying friend the bee
We’re fortunate and quite lucky, to have the navel orange…..but

Ch)
Very cool. It must have taken some effort to write something like that. I know some people can do it, but if I don't have a passion for it, I couldn't. I can't fake a passion either. That's probably why I am a home recorder and not a rock star... :rolleyes:

Rokket said:
Very cool. It must have taken some effort to write something like that. I know some people can do it, but if I don't have a passion for it, I couldn't. I can't fake a passion either. That's probably why I am a home recorder and not a rock star... :rolleyes:

I wrote most of it while floating on a raft in the pool.

There's more to it than that though.......a lot of research. For instance, I got her husband's name from the 1880 census. So much I can't say cause a song can only be a snapshot and only so much fits in the frame, it has to entertain as well as inform.

The music is still not right for the chorus but I'll get on that tomorrow while writing some more. There's about a dozen left to do.......next I want to somehow move from an early adobe to a story about how the black widow spiders of Yuciapa, Ca. helped win WWII. They really did.....it's all in the crosshairs.

philboyd studge said:
I wrote most of it while floating on a raft in the pool.

There's more to it than that though.......a lot of research. For instance, I got her husband's name from the 1880 census. So much I can't say cause a song can only be a snapshot and only so much fits in the frame, it has to entertain as well as inform.

The music is still not right for the chorus but I'll get on that tomorrow while writing some more. There's about a dozen left to do.......next I want to somehow move from an early adobe to a story about how the black widow spiders of Yuciapa, Ca. helped win WWII. They really did.....it's all in the crosshairs.
Black widow spiders and the Great War, huh? I think I will look that one up myself. Sounds really interesting. A plot for a good movie interesting.
Thanks Phil!

Back