Online ryhming dictionary..........

Rokket said:
Black widow spiders and the Great War, huh? I think I will look that one up myself. Sounds really interesting. A plot for a good movie interesting.
Thanks Phil!

They used to use human hairs for the crosshairs on bombsights but they were brittle and too thick for the new ones coming out around 1942, so they got this woman in Yucaipa worked with black widows. Here's a little info:

'The U.S. Bureau of Standards had heard of Nan Songer and her work as a naturalist, and thus called on her for help. Her first order was for silk which was 1/10,000 of an inch in diameter, or smaller.
Nan immediately worked on a system for "stalking-out" her female spiders on pin cushions made of yucca stalk. She then began extracting the silk from their spinnerets, winding 100 feet at a time on wire frame spools. This amount would satisfy the requirements for 10 instruments.'

Who knew?

philboyd studge said:
They used to use human hairs for the crosshairs on bombsights but they were brittle and too thick for the new ones coming out around 1942, so they got this woman in Yucaipa worked with black widows. Here's a little info:

'The U.S. Bureau of Standards had heard of Nan Songer and her work as a naturalist, and thus called on her for help. Her first order was for silk which was 1/10,000 of an inch in diameter, or smaller.
Nan immediately worked on a system for "stalking-out" her female spiders on pin cushions made of yucca stalk. She then began extracting the silk from their spinnerets, winding 100 feet at a time on wire frame spools. This amount would satisfy the requirements for 10 instruments.'

Who knew?
Amazing! I knew it would have the makings of a good movie. Thanks again!

EDIT: I found the site where you got that quote from and read the whole thing. I want to see the lyrics when you get done with them. It's such a kickass little bit of trivia.

My two cents...

...is that a real dictionary should be used, along with the use of a rhyming dictionary. This helps to overcome the problem of dropping in a word based soley on the fact that it rhymes with another. Back when I was writing a lot of poetry, my preference was for using rhymes, but I also never put two words together as a rhymed set unless they made sense together, and there was a sensible context maintained when using them. If these personal checks failed, I'd back up and re-write the offending lines, even complete verses, until what I wanted to convey was not lost to the use of rhyme for the sake of using rhyme.

Rapping, scatting or skiffling (whatever one wants to call it) probably affords more freedom with rhyming, and could possibly be an amusing break if one finds themself with "smoke rolling out of the their ears," from trying to put just the right rhymed words together for their "next big hit song." :)

Matt

Unsprung said:
...is that a real dictionary should be used, along with the use of a rhyming dictionary. This helps to overcome the problem of dropping in a word based soley on the fact that it rhymes with another. Back when I was writing a lot of poetry, my preference was for using rhymes, but I also never put two words together as a rhymed set unless they made sense together, and there was a sensible context maintained when using them. If these personal checks failed, I'd back up and re-write the offending lines, even complete verses, until what I wanted to convey was not lost to the use of rhyme for the sake of using rhyme.

Rapping, scatting or skiffling (whatever one wants to call it) probably affords more freedom with rhyming, and could possibly be an amusing break if one finds themself with "smoke rolling out of the their ears," from trying to put just the right rhymed words together for their "next big hit song." :)

Matt
Rap often makes real good use of rhyming syllables, not just words. It's a real art to write a good rap. Most of what's out there is just plain vulgar and offensive, but the stuff that was out before it became mainstream is awesome to listen to...

Rokket said:
Rap often makes real good use of rhyming syllables, not just words. It's a real art to write a good rap. Most of what's out there is just plain vulgar and offensive, but the stuff that was out before it became mainstream is awesome to listen to...

I've gotta say that IMO Eminem's lyrics are usually pretty darn impressive. I don't really care all that much for his music usually, but he's pretty clever and will say some actually touching stuff sometimes. Whereas most rappers are simply talking about how badass they are and how many bitches and hos they have, he usually deals with some actual subject matter.

I actually kind of like the way many modern songwriters play "fast and loose" with their rhymes. I think just about every perfect rhyme has been done so many times that they've almost become "dead rhymes". Examples:
"fire/pyre/desire" = yawn
"love/dove/above" = yawn
"you/true/blue" = yawn

I really like the false, internal, and conglomerate rhymes that a lot of rappers/ hip-hop artists use.

The Black Eyed Peas currently hold the record for the "falsest" rhyme ever:

"I got the rythms that'll make your head jerk
We're making this whole joint short-circuit"

Brad Paisley is another cat that really plays loose with his rhymes. Jason Mraz too. Perhaps my favorite inside rhyme of all time is by Tim Rice, in Gaston's song from Beauty and the Beast:

"As a specimen yes, I'm intimidating"

That's frickin' brilliant.

Back in the '40's a lot of guys were really, really clever w/ their lyrics... guys like Cole Porter. For a long time now it's been kind of out of fashion to get too clever with a set of lyrics (unless you're writing show-tunes). The rule of thumb was "keep them conversational". I hope we're coming full-circle now, back to a period where lyrics are going to be more artistic again.

A

Aaron Cheney said:
I actually kind of like the way many modern songwriters play "fast and loose" with their rhymes. I think just about every perfect rhyme has been done so many times that they've almost become "dead rhymes". Examples:
"fire/pyre/desire" = yawn
"love/dove/above" = yawn
"you/true/blue" = yawn

I really like the false, internal, and conglomerate rhymes that a lot of rappers/ hip-hop artists use.

The Black Eyed Peas currently hold the record for the "falsest" rhyme ever:

"I got the rythms that'll make your head jerk
We're making this whole joint short-circuit"

Brad Paisley is another cat that really plays loose with his rhymes. Jason Mraz too. Perhaps my favorite inside rhyme of all time is by Tim Rice, in Gaston's song from Beauty and the Beast:

"As a specimen yes, I'm intimidating"

That's frickin' brilliant.

Back in the '40's a lot of guys were really, really clever w/ their lyrics... guys like Cole Porter. For a long time now it's been kind of out of fashion to get too clever with a set of lyrics (unless you're writing show-tunes). The rule of thumb was "keep them conversational". I hope we're coming full-circle now, back to a period where lyrics are going to be more artistic again.

A

Hmmm ... I don't see the "specimen" and "intimidating" thing as a rhyme at all. Am I missing something?

famous beagle said:
Hmmm ... I don't see the "specimen" and "intimidating" thing as a rhyme at all. Am I missing something?

It's an inside rhyme. Maybe I should have quoted the whole couplet so you could feel it in the meter:

I'm especially good at expectorating
As a specimen yes I'm intimidating.

Catch it now? The inside rhyme is:

"specimen" and "yes I'm in...."

It's actually both an inside ryhme and a conglomerate rhyme. Very clever. Inside rhymes make a lyric flow better and the increase the percieved pace of the words.

A

Aaron Cheney said:
It's an inside rhyme. Maybe I should have quoted the whole couplet so you could feel it in the meter:

I'm especially good at expectorating
As a specimen yes I'm intimidating.

Catch it now? The inside rhyme is:

"specimen" and "yes I'm in...."

It's actually both an inside ryhme and a conglomerate rhyme. Very clever. Inside rhymes make a lyric flow better and the increase the percieved pace of the words.

A

ah ... gotcha

Sheesh - I have a lot of work to do with learning about rhymes - inside rhymes? Never heard it actually expressed that way, but very cool.

Aaron Cheney said:
I hope we're coming full-circle now, back to a period where lyrics are going to be more artistic again.

I love good artistic lyrics. I think a way for us to expand our lyric style vocabulary is to look at the way other languages and cultures structure their poetry. I suppose it could be an interesting song-writing task to try and put a haiku to music, but, for instance, look at Biblical Hebrew poetry (which much of the Old Testament was written in). Hebrew poety was not so much related by sound of the words, but by repeated thoughts, themes, or even diametric opposites (thematically). Think of the songs you have heard that have a structure like:

Chorus:

(A) B
(A) C
(A) D
E (A)

Where there is a repeated phrase (A) but nothing else really rhymes.

Ok, so that is a pretty simple example, and perhaps you think it lame, but I guess my whole point is, I love it when I hear song writers get creative with the way they do poetry. It doesn't have to rhyme to be effective.

Just my 2 cents....

some of the best poetry ive ever heard dosnt rhyme.
i think some poets who use rhymes in their poetry get to caught up in making things rhyme but not make sense.

sentances that rhyme are called "multis", atleas in hip-hop lingo.
meaning multiple syllables rhyme in each sentances.
a whole heap of a lot more entertaining than the the "AABB, or ABAB" scheem.

tools are just that

i'd prefer to sit down and write a whole song non stop but it's not always the case
so i have my tools for reference i don't own a rhyming dictionary but i use this site http://www.rhymezone.com i must admit i use it mostly for the regular dictionary because i hate mispelling

but i can see how using a rhyming dictionary would mess up you song by using a word that rhymes but deviate from hte original concept

Lirim said:
How do i access on line ryhming dictionary

One Click of your keyboard connected to the URL listed above ....yes your post is stupid. Is that what you wanted it to sound like, or is it you have nothing else to do?

Choctaw

Calling a spade a spade...That's all.

LfO said:
Flaming someone who made one post (ever) about half a year ago...

To me in makes no difference when the statment was made..it was silly. The person listed it as " Stupid Question " I was simply confirming the accusation that was self made.

Choctaw

Back