OK. Whatever, I did the search already and didn't find my question answered. Sue me.

JerryD

Copyrights:

I want to copyright only some of my better stuff, but I don't have sheet music or know how to write music. I can however write the chord names above the lyrics. I recorded my song in my studio. My question is would it be better to get the Sound recording copyright or the other one (I think it is for music and lyrics)?

If I get the one for music sheet and lyrics does it have to be formal sheet music or can I just write the chords above the lyrics?

If I get the sound recording copyright do I have to add a lyrics sheet with chords also?

I guess my main question is: "Since I havn't seen sheet music sinc H.S. band practice would it be better to do the sound recording type copyright? If so do I need a lyrics sheet.

Jerry,

you arent going to wanna do the sound recording(SR) copyright...u wanna do the PA that copyrights the song....it doesnt have to have sheet music or chords...just a recording of the song on tape and the lyrics printed....

THanks a bunch.

Gidge,

Your help has been awesome. I noticed you help a lot of people out here. Thanks for taking the time.

You can't copyright chords. It's the melody that is the key part to protect. Also if you can put the song to CD rather than tape 'cus tapes can de-magnatise (or whatever-something to do with magnetic fields). it all depends on if your sending it to yourself or officially I suppose. If there is no limit to what you can send, it might be a good idea to send rough drafts along with the "master copy"; the more the better.

Thanks a bunch

Thanks a bunch,

I did send a CD with the full demo and a Lyrcis sheet with
name title and words.

Your right about the CD thanks.

Sending it to yourself I don't agree with. That sounds pretty
hokey to me. It seems like a Urban legend sort of. Everyone
I talk to tells me mail your self the song.

What if I sent a envelope to my self and used a little bit of tape to seal it. Then of course I break the tape loose on the envelope, insert hit song, lick it this time, and then seal it. Yeah right.

I have a better idea. Try going down to the courthouse and go to the Chancery clerk. I think the courthouse will allow you
to record anything you want like words at the courthouse. It my cost $10 bucks or something. This would be a better alternative to the whole mail it to your self bunk.

I disagree. No one in the business will even TOUCH a song without copyright. If you intend to pitch your songs, copyright them. Good luck!

Bob

Back