newbie musician/vocalist needs advice! record demo to start garage band?

UnbridledBettie

Hi
I am moving to NYC and want to experiment with playing music and doing all the stuff i've always wanted to do! I have been singing for awhile now (mostly in classes, karaoke, on my own (sometimes with musician friends)) but not recorded. I also only play the keyboard a little and don't know how to play any other instruments (I would like to learn sometime). I won't know any musicians in NY and since I'm so new to everything I feel a little discouraged and just don't know what my first move should be!

So my ?s are:
How do I put myself out there to find someone to play music with?
Should I record my vocals somehow for a demo to find a Craigslist band?
Should I hold the vocals down till I learn to play an instrument?
Should I sign up for music classes in NY, if so anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks for you thoughts and time!
~Bettie~

Hi Bettie.
Good luck on the move to NYC.
First,to get yourself "out there",do just that.Go to open mic nights.They usually have a house band that would back you up.Then you can showcase your vocals.Or find a place with a karaoke night.This too is a way to get yourself heard.Just get up there and belt it out,dont be shy.Someone will most likely notice your talent.
If you have the means to record a demo then do it.If it is only vocals and some keys,why not.Download "Audacity" which is a free recording software if you dont have any other ways of recording or even find a cheap cassette portastudio.All you need is a mic and you could make some decent demos.

I would suggest learning other instruments,especially acoustic guitar to start,which isn't to difficult.And its an easy instrument to play and sing along with.But if vocals are your main priority,then focus on getting them heard first then slowly incorporate guitar or whatever other instr. you decide on when you get more proficient at it.

As for music classes.Go for it.Depending on cost or time.You could also get some connections through other students,teachers etc...

Any how.Go with your gut and just go for it.
Good luck.

Jason.

I'll second part of what j.harv said. Hang out in clubs, bars, or places where people play the music you like. Makes friends and find people.

I also know a few people that found a band to play music with on www.bandmix.com.

It will probably a lot easier to find people in a big city than NE Wisconsin.

Thanks PhilTact and j.harv!

I am going to continue to going to karaoke and singing wherever I can!
My plan is to sign up for some classes to learn the guitar at least its hard to focus when I try to learn it on my own so classes are in order and I would think there would be some people to team up with.
I'll check out both "Audacity" and bandmix see what I can accomplish!
Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad to know i'm on the right path!
~Bettie~

Also, most of your music stores will have flyers of other people wanting to join/form bands. You'll go through a ton of A-holes but eventually might find some talented people who aren't pricks.

I've had good results, most of the time, posting in Craigslist (under both "gigs- talent" and "for sale- musical instruments") finding other musicians to play music for. The only one that got ZERO replies was when I was looking for golden-age of country music look-alikes/sound-alikes to form a "Highwaymen" tribute band. THAT project never got off the ground.

Not trying to be rude, but can you truly sing well? Good singers are hard to come by. If you can sing well finding bands should be easy. Double bonus if you have good wordsmithing skills.

I don't know why but the world seems to have a million bandless electric guitar players that have written lots of "songs" but have no words. :confused:

Here's another thought, when you practice your singing always play an instrument. Start with mastering your piano and then quickly learn bass.

Bass is way easier to learn than guitar once you already know scales on a piano. After you get semi good at bass then learn the basics of drums and guitar.

I started off as a classical piano player and one of the biggest mistakes I made for the first 6 years of learning was refusing to sing while playing. I can do either well one at a time, but if I try to do both at the same time I sound like a hack. :( My second was trying to learn guitar before bass, and waiting 6 years to do so.

The reason I suggested the above is because finding guitarist in my neck of the woods is easy. They seem to be a dime a dozen.

Racherik

Like Phil said, go out and make friends. Go to local shows and meet people.

If you're looking to be a lead singer in a band, aside from having a good voice, you need a good personality. You need to be charismatic. If you are, then you should have no problem making friends who are musicians and will quickly find yourself in a project / band.

If you're a total loner and have a hard time making friends, stick to Karaoke.

C: I'm a beginner also!
I do recomnd you to go out and sing in places where they let you sing like in bars and stuff. That's what my brother did and he did get a band together by Doin that!
I perfer doing covers so I'm pretty much singing at home and posting on YouTube because I don't need a band for covers C:

Back