new member hello

drhawks

Hello to all you songwriters !I wanted to introduce myself to you all and say hi.

I have been writing ( or trying to learn since 16 yrs of age) I am 40 now ( boo-hoo)

I took 10th place in Billboard Magazines Annual writing contest in 1990. ( so long ago).

I am currently working on a theme song for a Bob Seger website . The site is dedicated to persuade The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame to finally induct this great singer/songwriter.

I have barley begun the writing but I feel I'm off to a good start.

I am grateful to have found this site. It would be nice to discuss writing techniques with others.

Once again hello. By the way my name is Dan.

I wish you all a very Happy Easter Day!

Hello,

Aimee Mann is 40. Sheryl Crowe is 41. Rachid Taha (french singer) is 44. Amr Diab - Egyptian Singer is 41. And they are all goood songwriters and serious babes. So dry your eyes - no boohoo no cry!

(40 is the new 30!)

Welcome Dan

I just turned 40 in January. Don't have your writing experience (I'm a relative newbie) but I still like doing it.

See ya 'round

Thank You all for the warm welcome. It is very appeciated.

I was wonderng if there are chat sessions available here?

Thanks again

Dan.

You're lookin at it my man.
The only other thing is get hooked up with someone that has Yahoo messenger or something like that.

bd

Songwriting Techniques

Songwriting seems to be approached in lots of ways, but what works for me is to try to get a mood thing going. (Usually have a relationship end badly and mope about it). Sometimes I write a song in about 5 minutes, sometimes 5 months (you come back to them and fiddle around)
Other times I try to take the original idea and put it into a variety of different styles and see what works. More recently if I have a 'block' I write by starting with a rhythm on the old drum machine and then work up a guitar riff, and then fill in the rest, so I end up writing as I record. Lyrics then seem to suggest themselves depending on the general ambience, but sometimes they come all together. Also, I think you can get inspired by just noodling away on an instrument that you aren't proficient with. I'm a guitarist who turns his hand to most things but I'm not too good with keyboards - so I just fiddle about, and sometimes something just hits you between the eyes and you go with it. Basically what I'm saying is inspiration is where and when you find it, but experience and work can pay off just as well, and there's no right or wrong way to do it. I'm nearly 40 too, and I've been writing since I was 14! Mind you, my teachers said I had no musical ability at all....the b*stards!

I generaly try and have a central theme or subject then go from there. I too tend to write about relationships ( good or bad).

I mostly usually have the music laid out and work the lyrics in. But there have been a few occasions where the lyrics came first.

I still record in the old 4 track cassette mode.

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to write. Go with your instincts.

I play the guitar, piano , and harmonica. I use drum tracks produced from the keyboard.

When it is possible I use backing vocals but ususally it is me alone. I tend to write simple lyrics, ( nothing to profound) just simple to the point lyrics. I think you can over-write a song.

3 to 5 minute songs are the norm for me.

I keep a dictionary handy at all times. ( for meaning and spelling.)

I have approximaltley 25 songs copyrighted.

(C) Hawksongs I have nothing published but I keep trying.

Thankfully I am not in it for the money. ( otherwise I would starve)

I do have hopes of one day being published though.

Cheers!

drhawks.

Regarding lyrics - sometimes there's nothing quite as appropriate or meaningful as 'be bop a lula'!! Unfortunately somebody got there first....I can't stand lyrics where somebody is trying to prove what a high IQ they have. 'Yeah! Check out the old brain cells buddy...aint I the clever one' People should just hold back a little and say what they feel, not try to gild the lily.

Back