My vocals stink and I know it.

LizardKing

My vocals stink and I know it, but I can carry a tune. I add harmony's to cover up my lack of quality.

My questions is; where is the best place online to find a vocalist who is willing to come over the house and sing on my original songs? Get a little gas money maybe a few beers. Someone I can collaborate with as time goes on.

Do you have any friends that sing? Maybe you could help them get to the next level. Post what your looking for on facebook.

If you're not deadset on recording the vocals yourself theres a few sites that deal in groupsourcing this type of stuff remotely,. In perticular I've played around with kompoze ,. pretty neat site.

And of course you could post links to your instrumental tracks HERE and see if you can find someone interested in colaborating,.

If you want people to come to your house to record vocals, you're going to need to meet them locally. Go to open mics in the area, bars/clubs, etc.

Yup, online is international... Although you could try your local Craigslist if you don't mind the risk.

I've never been in A local music store that didn't have a bulletin board for finding band members.

I don't have a good singing voice but I sing on my own recordings. The secret for weak vocalists: double track your lead vocals and add a third track if necessary for harmony parts. If you can, throw a little slap echo on. I call it "the John Lennon"---double tracked with slap echo. Adds fullness and texture to a weak voice (not that lennon had a weak voice, but he was very insecure about it). Multi-tracking and echo are a big part of John's vocal technique on many Beatles recordings. I do it the old fashioned way, by singing the lead vocal twice like they did before they had Automatic Double Tracking.

Do what I did. I am a beginner at singing. But have a lot of experience with recording music. I basically have used both an AKG Perception mic and now using a RODE NT USB (love it). I run it into Cakewalk Sonar and use the "Vocal Strip" plugin which is excellent. You can scroll through presets and easily find something that already sounds awesome for your voice. And you can even change the setting. It has a really effective doubler. I was able to dial in a good sound for my crappy voice in minutes. Throw an extra compressor on either side of the plugin and you're good to go. I also use Sonar's legacy "FX Reverb" at the end of the chain. Particularly the Rockabilly setting turned down low. It has worked great for me since 2001. You might be surprised at how good you sound if you sing through a good set up.

Worse comes to worst. You can always record music and email the tracks to someone to add the vocals to.

Back