Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My daughter's live performance

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    If you are going to record video with a camera, and don't have access to getting a good feed from the house PA into a field recorder or such, or the ability to put your own mic in place and use a splitter to get a direct signal to a good digital/field recorder, the next option is to use something as simple as a small digital recorder, e.g. a Zoom H2n, or similar.

I stopped using a cassette recorder when I got my Zoom H2 way back when, and also stopped using a stereo (electret) mic plugged into the camcorder about the same time when I realized I could get a lot better sound by putting the Zoom where the sound was best, the camera/camcorder where the video was best, and then put them together later. It also means you can record at 24-bit in very high quality and without ALC/AGC or whatever the camera uses that can really ruin the audio. Then you can use compression or automation or even noise reduction (generally to be avoided IMO) to get the [separately recorded] audio in even better shape before syncing. With very little effort or practice it will sound a lot better than the camera.

I'd get a mic stand with long boom extension and an adapter so you can place the recorder in a mic clip well above the audience, aimed at the performer. It will help reduce audience noise. Even placed at the back of the auditorium it will be an improvement.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Difficult though, when the sound all comes from the side PA speakers and little from the stage - I just find it ironic that at these kinds of events, they put real effort into every single area, apart from sound and lighting - which will just be 'on', and any problems the performer's, or the system.

I was playing in the band at one big budget school show with 18 channels of hired in radio mics. The hire company came in and set them up, and then the school folk though they would work themselves wit the faders in a row and the kids forgetting that the mic was live when in the backstage areas and worse, the toilets. The school just assumed that 'professional' expensive equipment worked itself. It was truly appalling.

Thanks
    @keith.rogers Thanks for sharing. Good to know. I used to use external mic to connect on my DSLR camera but I stopped using it as I wasn't satisfied with the result of the audio quality. I heard many good reviews of Zoom mics and perhaps I will give it a try. A friend of mine offered me Zoom H4n years ago but I didn't buy it coz I thought it wouldn't be useful for me. Now that my daughter started to perform live, I may need to invest suitable equipment for live recording purposes.

Thanks
    @Rob_ aylestone Well, I have no clue about PA equipment settings for large auditorium but for this particular show, the sound was really good and loud and no distortion. I haven't heard any mic feedbacks during the show even the performers moved around the stage near the edge very close to the monitor speakers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by diwata View Post
    Hi guys, after long while, this is again my daughter with her live performance. I've shared about her own first home recording (Audio editing - is it necessary for all recordings?) that she did by herself. Now I'm sharing her live performance. It's not perfect as she doesn't have personal vocal coach, she did it by herself and of course with some advice from close friends. Any opinion/comments? We've been receiving advice from friends to bring her for audition on big competitions (maybe they were just kidding) but not sure if she is ready.

there's talent there. just hate it when the audience hoots and hollers. learning how to work the mic will greatly benefit her talents.

Thanks
    +1 what @sparky123 said.
    All these comments are spot on about mic technique, etc., but the main take-away that I got from watching that vid was "wow!". The warm vocals at the beginning capture your attention and those powerful high notes at the climax really make it exciting to listen to. I don't think your friends are joking... She has exceptional talent.
    Another thing that stood out to me that I haven't heard mentioned yet is her stage presence. She looks like a performer in her natural habitat, not someone who is going overboard to show off, but someone who knows just what expressions to throw in to captivate the audience.
    Overall, the performance was amazing, and I see real talent here. A vocal coach may very well be worth while for some final polishing (I'm not a vocal trainer, just someone who has benefited from one).
    Last but not least, if you go the route of pursuing more opportunities in the music field, know what you're getting into. The music business has ruined a lot of people.

Thanks
    @Chris K , after watching about mic techniques on youtube lately, I understand why the comments here are focused on mic. Indeed, mic issues can easy be spotted as she performed. BTW, thanks @Chris K for your comment. I watched your youtube channel and just subscribed it as Creator.King. I enjoyed listening the songs. My daughter also sings on Sundays as she is part of the worship team.
    Last edited by diwata; 2 Days Ago at 05:02.

Thread Information