Musical Notation Question

Nalencer

I know this isn't the complete correct forum for this, but I couldn't find one more relevant.

In musical notation, what does the symbol with a slash and a dot on each side mean. It looks a bit like a %. This is the best rendition I can make of it: `/.

Sometimes it's just in the center of the bar (measure) and sometimes there's one at the top and bottom of the bar. However, the bar is always empty except for this symbol. What does it mean??

I beleive what you are referencing is the "repeat sign. If you encounter this in the middle of the music it means you should return to the 1st sign and repeat the phrase - however when you return the the sign (in the middle) a second time you then play through it.

Often there may be more than one repeat - which can get a little more confusing.

Repeat signs (% with filled-in dots) mean that you repeat the previous measure. At least they do when they are the only thing in a measure.

I think mikeh is thinking of either these |: *measures* :| or a "D.C. Al Fine"

mikeh said:
I beleive what you are referencing is the "repeat sign. If you encounter this in the middle of the music it means you should return to the 1st sign and repeat the phrase - however when you return the the sign (in the middle) a second time you then play through it.

Often there may be more than one repeat - which can get a little more confusing.
Whoops, mikeh's right.

andyhix said:
Yes. It means "Repeat the previous measure."

finally somebody got it right! to clarify what andyhix wrote, it means "this measure is the same as the previous measure"

Finally, all those years in jr. high and high school band pay off!

I was incorrect and the people who reference repeat measure are correct.

Now I remember why I play mostly by ear.

Nothing. You won't have a chance to, because the second that was printed it would tear the fabric of space and time, probably destroying the world as we know it.

Nalencer said:
Nothing. You won't have a chance to, because the second that was printed it would tear the fabric of space and time, probably destroying the world as we know it.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh....its 8:13pm and I'm here at work until 10pm. :)

Back