Melodyne

ste20man

Hi.

I am trying to get a good vocal track for a song of mine but I am not as good a singer as I used to be.

I bought Melodyne Studio 3 hoping that it would correct my vocals to a degree where they could be used for release. However, I'm not happy with the outcome. The singing sound weird / robotic / unusual at the end of phrases.

Has anyone come across this and if so, what did you do?

Cheers, Ste.

Sounds like you are overcorrecting. A little goes a long way. If you try to correct too much, you get exactly what you described. Go through the waveform carefully and manually correct a little where required. If you are adjusting in big increments, you will get the groteque Cher effect!

Hi W100.

This seems to happen as soon as I import the audio. Even before I begin it sounds a little computerised. Do you know what that could be?

I use v-vocal. I don't know melodyne but if you import a file, it shouldn't do anything until you do something to it. Unless it loads into a preset.

I've just had another look and I think you're right. It seems to be ok when I import it in. One of the main problems I am having is when I am using the pitch modulation tool. I can't seem to remove the excessive vibrato without the whole seeming a bit weird / robotic. Does anyone have any tips for that? Cheers, Ste.

It really depends on the original track itself. Usually it is the beginning of transitioning notes that will sound the most robotic when flattening. Try cutting the bubble into 3 parts and only correct the middle section. Sometimes this can help to keep a natural quality.

Back