Lyrics First

Anonimus

Yo I put a lot of focus on my lyrics and I was wondering if any one has any tips on making good background music to go with the lyrics. My style is rap (like Bone Thugs N Harmony, Kneight Riduz, and Graveyard Shift). I want a kind of dark sounding music, and I am using Fruity Loops 3. Hit me back with sample suggestions, and tips on how I can achieve the results i want!

One Love,
Anonimus

I don't have any applicable skills at rap. However, if you're going for a dark sound, start with minor chords and a droning transition. That should get you in the right mood.

Peace,
Theron.

I don't have much (any) experience in rap myself but I can give you a few tips on how I write songs. Sometimes I start with lyrics, sometimes with music. When I've got lyrics first try to sing them to yourself to get what kind of melody they make. It sounds like you're talking about more melodic rap (from what I think I thought I think I might have once remembered once) but even with that, rap lyrics don't have much melody or change pitch much so if you can find an ostinato (I don't think I spelled that right) tune that's just catchy you should be fine.

Also if you want dark sounds, minor chords and sometimes 2nd inversions (at least to my ear) make a good dark sound. Drenching everything in reverb can make things dark/dreamy/or nightmarish depending on how you do it. And if nothing else the very simple chord progression: ii -> I always works for me when I just want things DONE...FAST... hope this helps...

Back