lyricist needs paid gig

GigiMac

Dear Tune Personages,
I have been writing lyrics for maybe ten years, never seriously thought to get paid for them, but find I need the money right now. I am hoping someone here can steer me as to where to look for musicians who want the words or a website that buys them to sell to others. I am disabled, so it'll have to all be done via the computer somehow.

I also am currently working on a whole song, which over the years I have been doing not only lyrics, but tunes too, note-by-note, scattered in various papers around the house, but this one I'm going to try to put my own lyrics to my own tune, and for a change come up with the whole deal. I just never have put my words to my own tunes. I sing badly all the time, jot down new tunes if they sound good. Lyrics are the same way, a separate kind of process, I think of a few opening lines, and out comes the whole verse. I play piano a little and a couple other instruments, enough to where after I jot down the dots on a scale, I can bang it out on the piano.

Anywaaaaay, I am way off subject. I can write lyrics without music, as long as I have the rhythm and style. I did this one time when it was really hot outside, we had a heat wave a few years back, and I got so into the words that were coming out, that I hummed a dreadful blues rhythm in the style of B.B. King to tighten it up, and it began like this:

It's just so hot outside
I want to see you darlin
It's just so hot outside
You know I want you darlin
Seems every day is hotter than the day before.
copyright GG 2004

I wrote out an entire song, a couple stanzas, with a chorus in there, I might can find it around here, we moved a couple years ago, so I don't know where anything is, plus I gave it to my nephew anyway, back when he was doing some recording. I also wrote a complete song in the John Mayer style, emailed it to him for free and just asking that my name go on it, but never heard back, of course, becuz he has his own words. But the point is, I worked real hard on both those, made them just like those kind of singers would need it.

Originally I wrote poetry. People kept telling me to put it to music. One time, a pretty drugged up band tried to get me to join and write for them, they said, "There's a lot of money in it," but I didn't like the idea of giving up everything and winding up an addict. But I'm just saying that apparently what I do is pretty good. I mean, I'm not an award-winning lyricist or tunes artist by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I could help someone along who thinks if they just had the words, they could get somewhere.

Well, I wrote all this boring stuff so that if a few of you could give me just what I need on where I might look to help someone with their music, I've got the words. I just don't know where to look to find those people. Seems like I ran across a website a few years ago, and must have been a million lyricists looking for the same thing, so could be I'm wasting my time. Thanks for any feedback.
GG

As you point out, there are many people write "lyrics" and it is relatively rare to find a composer looking only for lyrics. I visited some "songwriter" web sites and there always seems to be many (maybe too many) lyricists looking for someone to use their words.

Normally the best approach would be to try to find a local co-writer (someone who composes music). Unfortunately, if you are disabled, your ability to seek out musicians in the places they may hang (venues, open mic nights, etc.) may be limited.

Maybe doing exacatly what you're doing is your best bet - simply post on various mucis related sites, and hope for the best.

As MikeH said, there's a million lyricists out there looking to get the lyrics hooked up with musicians. And off the top of my head, I can only think of two people who actually made a living just writing words: Robert Hunter and Bernie Taupin. Everyone else puts music to their own tunes and presents it as complete songs.

You're best bet is to hook up with a local musician and collaborate on songs. You might consider joining a local songwriters group or a local chapter of Nashville Songwriter's Assoc. There's also www.jpfolks.com or www.songwriter101.com where people might be able to steer you in the right direction or give better advice.

Good luck

I have a membership in the Nashville Songwriter's Association and in our local chapter (a relatively small chapter of maybe 12-18 writers) there are only 2 people who write only lyrics).

Those two are always hoping to co-write or get someone else to use their lyrics - but most times, if people get together to co-write - musician/writers seek out other musician/writers (vs. the lyricists).

So what I see - the lyricists often have to send their lyrics to one of the production houses and pay to have the lyrics set to music (vs. having someone pay them to use the lyrics). As most people know, the production houses often use the same general melody/production over and over - so several lyricists end up with the same musical production....simple different lyrics.

Not good news for GigiMac......but the harsh reality.

Dear Chili and Mikeh,
Thanks so much for taking the time to post back. I appreciate the info and the links. Yeah, I thought as much, that I'll have to put together my own lyrics and tune. Probably then get someone to do an arrangement, maybe my nephew. Actually, I live in a music-rich town, little ads sometimes appear in our underground paper looking for various sorts of songwriter assistance. I reckon I'll keep my eye on it.

I think my get-rich-quick scheme must be elsewhere, but at least I'm more motivated now to get all the way into some REAL music. My guitar got ruined when we moved across town recently, I saved the fret board, so want to get a new one. In general been wanting to explore my music side more seriously. Well, thanks again, I appreciate the help so much.
GG

Find someone to put music to them, record them and then join TAXI...not a quick fix..but if you want to sell your songs theres no better place to do it!!

Sometimes you can hook up with the right people, but it takes WORK.

I don't know if you're familiar with Rush, the band from Canada, but their first few albums were mediocre (sorry if I offend someone with that).

Then Neil Peart, the new drummer came along. He wrote all the lyrics, and played the drums while Geddy Lee sang.

The combination was outstanding, and the rest is history. These guys went on a mega-tear for about ten year, selling out everything around the world. They later fizzled a bit, but they're still going. Their level of success is huge, right up there with Genesis and other bands that were huge but aren't still as big as they once were.

But they'll always make money off those older albums. They were too big to totally fade away.

Anyway, I digress.

For ME, I am the world's worst lyricist. If there was an award for horrible lyrics I'd be the king of sling.

Go to my soundclick site. I have two songs up right now with no lyrics, and a song WITH lyrics. Feel free to put your own spin on my instrumentals before I attack them and destroy them.

Saskatchewan and Crazy Days in the CIA are two songs I wrote, pretty much finished musically. You can add what you like to it and get back to me.

The song titles are working titles.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=851608

Back