Looking for feedback on songwriting and singing

Max Mediocre

I wrote this song a couple nights ago for a friend of mine. It's called "a song for claire" and is really simple - just acoustic guitar and voice. I recorded it to a single track with an MXL V67 and my laptop. I've only been playing for around two years and although I can play slightly more complicated stuff than the guitar work I use in this song, I try to keep everything pretty minimal to fit with my lack of ability.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any feedback you guys could give me on either my songwriting or singing. Any advice for making the song any better would also be really useful - I'm fairly inexperienced at this sort of thing.

here's the song:

thanks very much for your consideration.

neil

How did you record the guitar? Its a little heavy on the presence/treble side. Could use some more bass to fill out the sound since it is the only instrument.

Vocal style is interesting. There is definitely a talent required for singing "bad" well, and you have that talent! hehe No diss intended, I think you know what I am saying. Lots of Angst ridden rockers use that technique these days. It may not be a classic singing voice, but you still have to do it well to pull it off.

Cool song.

Tsjeeeeeeee, slow download..........................waiting.............waiting......... ;)

Yeah, I recorded both the vocal and guitar tracks through the V67 at the same time. I just sat in front of the microphone and played and sang. I ended up equalizing the whole thing for the vocals, meaning I pulled a few db off of 230 hz and added a couple to both 3k and 10k, so that probably contributed to the trebly tone on the guitar. I really need to get another microphone cable so I can record two tracks at once (I've got a Beta 58A but only one cable).

Thanks for the feedback on the singing - I'll take it as a compliment. I was kind of trying to transition between the whole wobbly, strained singing thing and a more clear head voice type thing. I'm not sure if the falsetto part was inappropriate. I kind of felt like I wanted something to break up the song a little bit.

neil

Nothing inappropriate about the falsetto. In fact, that is my favorite part. That would sound extra cool with delay/reverb or something like that on it.

The only other advice I would give is using a metronome to keep your meter even. If you want to add tracks later, it will be much easier for you or another player to follow along. This is REALLY important if you have something you want to add drums to.

Back