Lets try some thing !

Henri Devill

Hey everyone I got a idea ! kristofo1 had a point about the fact there isn't much content in the songwriters forum.So I thought
lets try to write a song{lyrics}.Im far from the best songwriter here but Im game to give it a try.I was reading the Beatles in there own words and came across a interesting place named
"Woolton Church"...roll it around your heads try and capture
imagery/emotion of it.I would be interesting to see how everyone
approches the same germ of a idea!It wouldn't matter if you did it AABA,AAA or any of the other song forms.The reason for useing the same germ"Woolton Church"is so we can see how our approches differ and a foundation for dialog etc.We can post some of verses/chourses give and get help from each other.
What do you think?Could be fun and enlightening!

Don

P.S I don't think The Beatles used "Woolton Church" in any of there songs

very interesting suggestion, so you mean we all try to write songs titled "Woolton Church" and compare the results?
btw, you have some more information about Woolton Church?
or should everyone imagine his own church?

anyway, I like your idea. already working on the first verse :-)
smirky

Smirky,Woolton Church could be a in the verse or the title anywhere in the song just a starting point. Just to get our ideas flowing colectively.I should have a verse or so in a day myself .The I'll
throw it up here.Use you imagination anything is fair game

Don

Well I'll have to see if my record company will allow me, and see if my manager thinks it's economical. Afterall were all in it for the money...........aren't we?

No seriously, we tried this once before. Someone satrted by giving the first verse and for us to then write the next line/verse etc. If you can dig it up; I can't remember how it ended but I can remember the way it was heading after about the fourth post......use your imagination!

I dont have to look it up to understand what you mean.This is everyone writeing there own song not a collective stream of con. type thing.Everyone does ther own song!We just have a common place
to start from.This is for disscusion and a sort of workshop approch.Anyone can see how others come to the songwriting craft.Without getting into psyco babble are some people prone to
write visually ,3rd person narritive,1st person,the different frameing devices we all use ect. .We all have habits. To see the ways that other people work can only be a benefical.It might get someone out of a rutt who knows?But if we take this approch
of just lyrics we can get past the dealing with the sonics for now.
And then at some point who knows?Kristof1 you had a valid point
about content of the song writers section of this bbs! Lets be proactive! Give it a try.....It could be fun !

Don

A thought back to the past
that's the place where I felt it last
I grew up way too fast
All I remember is........

Woolton Church, where my youth is hidden
Woolton Church, where time stands still
Woolton Church, you're almost just a dream
I can feel you slipping away

The mountain top I once admired
is the place where I am now
It no longer holds its magic
and I'm afraid that I may fall

The air I'm breathing is way too thin
I can feel my lungs caving in
Mum's not here to pick me up again
or set me straight when things start to spin

Woolton Church, where my youth is hidden
Woolton Church, where time stands still
Woolton Church, you're just a dream
A dream that I have each night

These are random lyrics that I made up while reading stuff on the boards. Sorry if they rot.

a couple of "firsts" here

My first post to this BBS, and the first song lyrics I've ever written. Note on the lyrics: they aren't very happy, don't contain "Woolton" once, and they are not very good...but what the hell, it was my first try. Constructive/Destructive criticism welcomed with open arms.
<--peace-->

Title: Woolton Church

-verse-
...this time she told me
'bout the way she lost her mind
in the distance she could see
how she'd left her soul behind

through the haze and the fog
an inner light could not be found
her voice, once firm and strong
now a weak and hollow sound

-chorus-
tell me father, have I sinned?
what can be done to make ammends?
tell me father, what'll I do?
Don't the answers lie with you?

-verse-
the church walls echoed
with the tales of her lost faith
it was the dust that consumed her
more and more with every taste

she knows that tonight
she'll be drawn in again
if I can't help her
and be her only friend

-chorus-
tell me father, I'm so scared.
please don't sit and stare.
tell me father, I'm filled with fright.
And all my days are filled with night.

One thing I've sort of noticed, not refering in particular to any of the songs on this post, just a general observation, is that if you try too hard to write a song quite often they come out pretty cliched and they dont sound natural or from the heart. I write songs but not on a daily basis, usually only when I get the urge, and strangely that's usually last thing at night. Some very nice ideas here so far however, I might add my pennys worth later. Keep up thje good work!

Jags

I met a girl in Woolton Church
On a foggy sunday evening
Seven minutes later we were going at it good
Like a couple of rabid dogs in Picadilly Square.

lacking

yeah, jags, i completely agree. My lyrics were pretty devoid of any emotion at all, but I think it was interesting to see what a couple of us came up with. I think the idea here was just to get some creative juices flowing, 'course that doesn't mean I couldn't have put a little more effort into it.

What is intresting to me is how many different ways there are to say the same thing. Anybody can say it, but only a true song writer at heart can paint it.

I wonder what would happen if rather than a specific name to write a song about, if someone would come up with a statement
an see how everyone else expresses that same statement. For instants-since the topic used was a church:

...the church I once knew...

Anyone care to paint?

George

Woolton Church

I'll take a stab at this.

This has to be the quickest song I've done, and it includes chords and lead. The bass is in my head yet.
A slow bluesy ballad;

--------------------

Woolton Church

Down the road in the summer time,
I walk along hoping to find.
Bits if youth and long lost dreams,
Like wading in those mountain streams.

Take me back.
Take me back.

Down the road from the old log shack,
On a stump my grampa sat.
Telling stories of his days of youth,
Then he'd sing a song about the blues.

Take me back.
Take me back. To Woolton Church.
Take me back.

(short lead solo)

Behind the magnolia, beyond the bay,
Stands a church where gramma taught me to pray.
Now covered with vines and everythin’,
I can still hear those gospel hymens.

Take me back.
To Woolton Church where my life began,
Take me back.
To Woolton Church where I played and ran.
Take me back.

(long lead solo)

Now I sit on that stump like my grampa did,
Telling stories to my great-grandkids.
The youngin’s listen to all the old news,
Then I pick up my guitar and I sing ‘em the blues.

Take me back.
To Woolton Church, where their lives began,
Take me back.
To Woolton Church, where grampa talked and sang,

(begin soft lead and fade)

Take me back.
To Woolton Church.
Take me back.

(repeat)

Last edited:
Gospel Hymens, lol!

Anyway, I like the lyrics, I wish mine would flow as well as that. And the guitar solos are kick ass! :)

Seriously, any thought of recording it?

<-peace->

Hi Mark-Guinn

It was on purpose. Taken from my personated life near a place like Woolton Church. Memories, cycles, life. hee, hee.
Nope!
Ain't no Freudian.
Mainly cuz there ain't no Woolton Church to freud about.
No related lifes experiences involved here with any slips.
Never new my grandparents, no mountain streams.
No log shack, no stump to sit on.
Ain't got a place to go back to.
I grew up amongst the magnolias and bay trees,
Never sang nor rememeber any gospel hymens.
The grandkids don't what to listen to me.
But I do play the blues.

I didn't Freud, nor did I slip.
It's simply the lyrics of a song I put together.

If there is a Freudian Slip, I'd have to say it's "Down the Road". Anything beyond that, well, who knows.

Why do you ask? I've never been asked anything like that before. I find it no more of a Freudian slip than the line about gramma teachin' me to pray or the church covered with vines. Was mearly trying to keep the song within the "Woolton Church" title. I don't understand your point.

Last edited:
EndlessCoda.

Glad you liked the lyrics. It did just flow last night. I only changed the last line of the second verse. Beyond that, everything is how it came out.
Yep, I've filled out the copyright papers last night, and as soon as I can figure out my new recording equipment, I'll record it.
On the copyright, I changed the name of the church. I understand the Woolton name came from a book, that's why. I'm not 'up-to-date on copyrighting or how far one can go without someone throwin' a fit.
The solos. I'm glad you like them, too. I'm using light distortion with chours, slides and bends.
As soon as I get this recording stuff down, I'll post the MP3.

I read your lyrics. It's a bit deep for me. I kinda like the over-all theme though. Kinda gives me of a Gothic feeling. It would be interesting to hear the music with the words. I hope you finish it, add music, ect.

Thanks for your comments.

Woulton Church

How much longer can I live this way
The mask I wear says I'm okay
I tell myself I'll get better soon
But I can't see the stars because of the moon

But in the back of my mind there's a quiet place
As the memories roll down my face
Take me back to the place that I knew
Back to where love was true

(Chorus)
Walls of stone upon a hill
Where the songs of old echo still
The sun that shines through stained glass
Light the way back to my past
Where life was lived and death was mourned
Around this place where I was born
Though my days of joy are now but few
Woulton Church,........ I remember you

Now here I am on this busy street
I look in the eyes of those I meet
The reflections there never lie
As they turn their heads as they walk by

In a sea of people everywhere
No one listens no one cares
So I'm coming home to start brand new
Back to the truth I found in you

(Chorus)

It's a rush job but, here it is.

George

badgas,

Thanks for reading and commenting on my lyrics. I was kinda going for a dark, not-so-happy feel. So, i'll take it as a compliment that it made you feel that way. I don't expect that you'll ever hear them with music (at least no time in the near future). I'm having issues bringing it all together. I can come up with chord progessions that I like, and lyrics that I think are so-so, but I still haven't successfully been able to put them together. I always end up singing the chord tones and lack the ability to fill in a melody...or at least this my diagnosis of the problem. I'm still very new to songwriting, and I'm hoping that this is something that I can learn. The depressing part for me, is that I know REAL songwriters just FEEL this and it's not so much a learned thing. So even if I get something that works, it'll probably still be second-rate. Anyway, no worries, I'm still having fun! :)

<-peace->

Back