Lets try some thing !

badgas,
I just read your reply to mark_guinn. I believe he was talking about the extra "E" you used in the word hymn. Hymn and hymen, two words - two COMPLETELY different meanings. I think you were going for hymn, but I could be wrong. :)

Hi EndlessCoda.
Cripes, don't I feel like a nitwit.
I ran a spell checker on that one too.
Guess I need to have a dictionary near by.

If you read this Mark_Guinn, Now I know what you mean. Sorry for making light of it and misspelling it.

EndlessCoda.
Few songwriters begin by writing songs that just flow. I had piles of partly written songs scattered about the house when I started doing it. Like someone in a previous post said, if you force it, it don't flow. Or something like that. Everyone starts out differently. Relax, don't force it, get a title in your head, or a chord progression, or something to start with. My whole way of writing has changed from when I first started. Yours will too as you find what is comfortable for you. Just hang in there and keep writing, save every thing you write. All those songs I mentioned that I had scattered about, well, I took some from this unfinished song, added it to another and so on. By doing that I came up with a few good songs.

I didn't thank you, EndlessCoda for bring my mistake to my attention. Thanks.
Again, I apologize to Mark_Guinn again. After reading what your replied to, it still looked correct to me. I'm not the best speller and English isn't the simplest of languages to spell. Sorry.
I'm bothered by that mistake. I reported it to the moderator. Now I'll probably be kicked outta here.
Well, I asked the mod to remove the 'e'. Don't know if he will, but I tried.
This has been on my mind all day at work.
I didn't mean to write that. I don't talk like that on boards. Face to face, yeah, but not here. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

No worries, badgas, I actually got a kick out of it. It's certainly not a bad word or anything, I bet you could still get a G rating if it were in a movie. Besides it clinical connotation, it has another meaning, too. It's the name of the Greek Goddess of Marriage. Heck, maybe that's who they worship at Woolton Church?

Thanks George and EndlessCoda.
Maybe I did 'slip'. And I slipped about the Greek Goddess. Yeah, that's it.
~ shakes my head ~
Ok.
Deathrow, huh? ~ laughs ~

Woolton Church

Well I believe this thread was supposed to be experimenting on the cummulative differences on writing a song about "Woolton Church" from their own point of view. There has been a few songs posted but I don't believe anyone has posted any since I posted mine. (Mine must have been pretty bad)

Anyway who's analyzing the data? How'd we do? Did we totally miss the point of the effort? Or was all this some college students homework, to write a song about Woolton Church, and he let us do the work for him? Hmmm? Oh well, if he used mine he's more than likely gonna get and "F" anyway.

~Pondering~

George

Don't know who's analyzing the stuff. I'd be kinda scared to know them. Hee, hee.

I liked your song, George. I found the city part most interesting. I see it every time I go to the city.

With the exception of EndlessCoda, we all seem to relate the title to the past in some way.

Hey George, I started this thread to have everyone see the differences in how everyone aproches song writeing{ myself incl.}.I have been working on a version also...But I have been working on about 4 songs at the same time..So I'm kinda late in posting anything myself.There is no right or wrong songs IMHO.
Post your ideas from the inseption thru to the edited version .For me the first draft is just a frame to build on..But thats how I do it.
Other people have diff. appr. thats the cool thing about this ..
Your "Woolton Church" is very cool by the way as is Badgas's and Coda's...I like the way you use your self and the how do I fit in life approch.And I might be wrong, but its cool that Badgas seems to use a idilic "visual"approch...Coda's got almost a narr. type of thing going..Kid Nova's comes from a sense of loss..I wish my lyrics were half as good as these..I will post a verse as soon as I can...This weekend..
Don

It is neat to see how a starting point of the same proper noun has so many unique avenues. But then it's supposed to.

One way that I really like to write is to never state the subject of the song directly but rather indirectly. Kind of a oxymoron-ish sort of thing I guess. The first time I tried it was a few months ago when I attempted to write of a very contrversal subject matter, which I had been trying to do off and on for almost ten years, but it would always end up wrong. And I would scrap it. When I tried this approach, I was concerned that maybe no body would get it.
So I made a scratch demo and let different friends listen. Everybody nailed it before the first chorus. Which now gives me a fresh new avenue to write from. For example: "From the deep blue sea" (direct subject) I would write something kinda, sorta, like,"From the depths of the blackest blue" (indirect subject).

Now I know there is probably a yard long technical term for this, but hopefully you get my drift.

I'll be quiet now

George

Hey Henri.
You have a good way of describing the different styles. I'm eager to read yours.

Hi Again George.
You have some nice ideas.
Now I'm interested in this oxymoron-ish style, using something like innuendos to to state the subject of the song. Stating only a few non-repetative allusions so not to over do it, ya know. Subtle like.

Hey Badgas,

One of the things I like about this form of writing is that it becomes the brush that the listener must allow to develope a picture in there mind. I don't know but it seems to pull them in beyond the music.

George

I've only got a verse...theres alot of fat on it still..I tend to edit alot.LOL

The nights against the walls of Woolton Church
And I'm waist deep in these things that perilize
In the darkness my memory takes hold of a form
that never grows old.....
Churchbells are ringing
can you hear them too
Theres a snow rollin in
is it cold for you ..
Churchbells are ringing
can you hear them too
Just the sound of me
missing you...

First draft of the first verse....Second verse.....

I'm leaning against the walls of Woolton Church
Waist deep in the things I realise
You said you would come back when everything
old is new...
I thought I heard a blackbird cry..
But its just the sound of the wind
going by
can you hear it too
Maybe its just me ...
missing you
you missing me

I know there kinda scattered , I always do a stream of con. type first drafts...
Thats as far as I've gotten...I will try and add more A.S.A.P

Don

Last edited:
Hey Henry Devill, (alias: Don)

THAT'S IT! Metophores!

You must bear in mind that I'm a country hick that for some reason is able to write songs beyond my rather obvious inability.
I've written a short story that has been published for the third time. Which in it self is strange since my grammer and punctuation
leave a lot to be desired. I talk while I write and when I run out of breath I put a period. A sneeze equals a comma. I try not to use words that I can't spell. So please excuse my shameful use of the english syntax.

I really liked your song. I liked they way the words encircled the theme and not jump around. It had a nice visual flow as well. Good job.

<><
George

Badgas Thanks for your reply...Well I've done some editing to the 2 verses so far.Took out some of the linking words and overstatements...Still need a verse and a chorus.

Nights against the walls of Woolton Church
I'm waist deep in the things that perilize
In this darkness memorys take hold
That form never grows old
Theres a snow rollin in
is it cold for you
Church bells are ringin
can you hear them
Its the sound of
Missing you

Leanin against the walls of Woolton Church
Waist deep in the thing that I realize
Said you'd come back when everything old
is new
I'm still waiting thru grey
Thought I heard a blackbird cry
just the the wind goin by
Church bells are ringin
can you hear them
Its the sound of
missing you

Don

PS..Since this is kinda of a workshop approch...I've looked at the way I've constructed my verses..self analizeing{sp.}....
I tryed to keep the opening and closeing of the verses the same in that I've used the words "Woolton Ch." and the phrase "its the sound of missing you" to give it a frame of cohesivness...I think if I remember its a device used in folk music....Not that I had any idea what the heck I was doing any way..LOL....George is your story avalible anywhere?It would be cool to read it!

Last edited:
Well I think that I have finished my version of "Woolton Church"
I used the AAA form of song writeing...Excellent use of this form
is done by Jimmy Webb, one example "By the Time I Get to Phoenix"...Not that my use of AAA is on that par!I guess you could look at this form as haveing no chorus and the "repeates" are in the verses...at the start and finishes of each verse..
As a "Frameing" device "Woolton Church" was hard for me to use in the choruses...I just couldn't get it...LOL...

Nights aganst the walls of Woolton Church..
I'm waist deep in the things that perilize...
In the darkness my memory takes hold
that form never grows old..............
Theres a snow rollin in
is it cold for you.............
Church bells are ringin
can you hear them........
Its the sound of
missing you..............

Leaning against the walls of Woolton Church..
Waist deep in the things I realise...........
Said you'ed come back when everything old is new..
I'm still wadeing thru the grey.....
Thought I heard a blackbird cry,
just the sound of the wind going by......
Church bells are ringin
can you hear them..........
Its the sound of
missing you

Morning against the walls of Woolton Church..
Sleep clouds the things in my eyes.....
Snow falls like rain in the morning light...
Rainbow streaches over you...
Never got to say goodby
saw a train pass by
heard the whistle blow..
can you hear it too.....
Its the sound of me
missing you.......

Well I think that I'm finally done with this song....let me know if you can see any changes that I should make...Critiques are well come! Just leave my spelling out of it..LOL

Don

Last edited:
Back