Kamikaze method for writing

pablo

I don't know if you have hear about this before, I use this method all the time, is just start playing some chords and start to sing... I have to record it or I won't remember!! Well, I end up with some brutally honest material, and I think that's what music is all about, reflecting the mind of the artist...
The proble is that you end up with a bunch of things only you like... and I've noticed it only works well under extreme emotions, and long time by yourselve... no TV, no PC, no telephone... just you, your madness, your pain and your guitar... maybe a bottle of Tequila, but that's all...

Have any of you ever worked with this method?

I want to hear experiences... how do decide what to keep what to trash and what to keep??

Kamikaze:eek:
Perhaps not the best choice of words, considering the current events.

I tend to choose my melodies this way, but I've usually got the words already worked out.

I know an artist who used to do the "stream of consciousness" style of ad-lib lyric writing you mentioned. He would later go back and choose which phrases he liked, which he did not and sort of piece the thing together at the end.

Queue

Well... it's true, sometimes you're just talking to a friend on the street and suddenly POP! there's a really cool phrase, and I keep it in my mind running for a long time, until I foget about it or write it down in one of these inspiration moments...
Are there any famous composer that use this method??
I know of a guy, but he writes in spanish... he's awesome... he's name is Andres Calamaro, from Argentina, last year he released an album with 5 Cds, 103 songs, all brand new, all recorded in a 4 tracks, analog portable studio... and It justs sounds amazing...

Back in the 60's I used to do the stream of consciousnes thing live in coffee houses. Just start out with an idea and adlib the lyrics. Some of it was pretty good, but I think that the reason it was well- received was that people were more open to that then. Also, everyone was usually very stoned.
I still write that way, though. The art is in the writing, the craft is in the re-writing.

Bob

Back