Jumping back in....

dannoman

....to the home recording scene. Haven't been around alot lately, but have a couple of weeks off and have been wanting to dive back into recording. Always received alot of great feedback from you guys and hopefully I give back when I happen to know an answer to a question. I just remixed this song and reposted up on acidplanet. The tune was inspired by a couple of buddies that died way too young in their life. This time of year I find myself reflecting on those that have left us.....our stay here seems so brief. Anyway, if you feel like listening and offering feedback, I would welcome all critiques. The song is called 'Here's To You'

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?play=427382&T=9481

Merry Christmas, Gang!

Danno

Last edited:
Hi Danno,

Very heartfelt ballad with some good lyrics and a catchy melody. "Thank you for the song", nice touch.

I would pull the two vocals closer to the center (they can still be side-by-side) so they don't sit right on top of the two acoustics.

I kept waiting for a build-up in the arrangement; the melody could definitely handle it.

Personally, I would have the cello voice in either with the second verse or with the final chorus.

I say this because then you can build with a bass from v.2, and perhaps piano and (your choice) a bit of brushed drums. Doesn't have to get loud, just 'walk' a bit more in the middle.

You can embellish and then bring it all back down to the final chorus, to end as you began. Except:

Here you now have the (perhaps) unused cello voice as a little 'ear-grabber' just when people thought they knew how it would end.

I enjoyed listening; don't know why no listens so far.
It's a good song.

Best,
Claus.

I like the ballad....

....format for this song. For my taste the vox could be more upfront. Tightening up the harmonies would help and just might be enough to provide the needed clarity. Nice tune though and your voice matches your playing in a pleasing manner. All in all, godd effort.

The accompaniment comments are spot on esp re the c\'cello/keyboard part.
The closer panning of the voices would be good because the slight variations betwenns them cause a brain jump when I listened with h/phones - a bit like a compression pump.
Sounds like you could develop the lyrics a bit more too.
Good stuff.

I like it - a nice smooth ballad with heartfelt lyrics.... The arrangement / length is good too....

Thanks you guys...I appreciate the comments. I know what you mean about adding more instument parts to 'build it up'...Unfortunately, I have very few musical skills other than guitar(and even that's debatable:)) My tunes usually consist of a couple of guitar tracks, vocal tracks, and maybe a string track. I've messed around with bass with some success, but usually just guitar,vox, and strings. Makes all my tunes sound alike, but I'm still learning, and using some pretty crude equipment. If I'm understanding correctly, you guys think I need to go straight up with the vocals...no panning at all...right? What about developing the lyrics? Not sure exactly what you mean by that.

Thanks again everyone!

Danno

Back