Issue with harsh vocals.

CMolena

Hi, everyone!

Lately I noticed something when I go on recording vocals for my band, or for any project I try to do by myself. My voice is really hasrh, meaning that when I'm singing low notes, I can get pretty quiet, but when I try to reach a higher pitch, I just have to scream to get there.

Now, I've seen guys with really similar voices recording with condenser mics, like Dave Grohl on the Sonic Highways documentary, but whenever I record too much close to a condenser mic, it just peaks a lot. Even if I move away a bit, it still peaks a lot.

My doubt is, if record with other types of mics, could it give me better results? I have a SM57, 58 and MXLV67G.

I hope you guys understood my question...dont know if I made it clear. I'm sorry if not.

Thanks! :thumbs up:

Small condensers or large?

When I sing into a small condenser it's so sibilant and transient. Large condensers are pretty nice (I had a Shure KSM32 but sold it). If you don't have a fantastic voice, the large condensers almost work against you and highlight the flaws. You can usually put a -10db pad on either type to help with gain.

For me the best vocal mic is an EV RE-11. I find it nicer than the SM57, but it's similar. It's an under the radar mic that I highly recommend. I also like singing into harp mics (usually hi-z omnis). It's odd, I know, but it gives a cool sound. Almost like The Strokes where you get some natural breakup.

Ribbons are great, too. I like the LRM mics made in Sweden. They're cheap and awesome. I know the owner, and he's a great guy. Ribbons have a warm, mellow sound. The figure 8 pattern can be tricky, but they sound nice on vocals. I prefer them to both types of condensers. But I prefer the RE-11 to all.

Actually I have a Large condenser. The MXL is really sensitive and good for people that can actually sing.

Me, I cant sing properly. I have to scream to reach higher notes...but I can get them right. Only problem is the actual distortion of the gain level when I do so.

Actually I have a Large condenser. The MXL is really sensitive and good for people that can actually sing.

Me, I cant sing properly. I have to scream to reach higher notes...but I can get them right. Only problem is the actual distortion of the gain level when I do so.

Can you use a -10db pad or turn the gain down on the preamp?

You could also try compressing before rather than after recording. I know that goes against the grain, but i think it would solve the problem

I think that 4tracker is on the right path here...turn the gain down so that the loudest parts don't clip, that's first and foremost. Use proper mic technique and back away during the loud parts, come closer during the soft parts. And use compression and/or fader automation to level out the volume.

Back