I need feedback.

meganiam

So, I used to sing when I was younger... I always loved it but never fulfilled it. For the past few months I've found myself singing again, so I bought some equipment and figured I'd try to take it somewhere this time around...

While my equipment is being shipped, I did a little something to try to get some vocal advice... it was recorded with a desktop microphone, sided with a pop filter made out of nylons, carboard, and tape, mounted with an old USB Flexwire in front of the "little stick microphone," but I think it did pretty good for a set-up like that.

But yes... vocal feedback?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your vocals don't have any life to them, you sound like you're half asleep. Your pitch is also quite flat throughout the song. Try and sing with some bounce and character to your voice. I'm only listening to the song you have on ReverbNation as there is no YouTube link that I can see.

I fixed the YouTube link for you. Just use the video's ID number in between the tags.

I think you should try again once you get your equipment set up. This mic you've got now is not helping at all.

I listened to the YouTube video, and agree with the comment about your mic. That thing needs to be deep six'ed.

And, as also previously noted, your vocals are weak as well. It's difficult to tell with the poor mic, and where the vocals are sitting in your mix, but it sounds like you're singing back in your throat or your chest, with an odd "nasaly" character added in. Some coaching would help.

I'm probably the only person in the civilized world who isn't familiar with Taylor Swift's music, but I have a suspicion that you've copied every little grace note and emphasis she used in this song. When I'm singing a song that has been recorded by someone else, I don't try to copy. I'll listen a few times to make sure I'm understanding what's happening with the lyrics, then diagram and work on it on my own. This effort, while tedious, will also help you feel a bit more passion for what you're trying to express...as it becomes more familiar. Mark up those lyrics -- where you're going to breathe (is the breath best here, or there?), how would this line be spoken, that sort of thing. You want the song to be an expression of you, not a carbon copy of what has already been done (even though your voices are different).

Another thing I suspect is that this song may just not be right for your voice. Taylor's voice is light and agile, and has an easy storytelling quality about it. Even though a particular song may be sung by either a male or female voice, you still need the vocal character to be able to match the style required by the lyrics, tempo and rhythm.

Hope this helps.

-Bruce

Thank you guys so much for the feedback (and the fixing of the youtube link!)

As far as the microphone, it's a slim desktop microphone.
I have a Behinger C-1, just am waiting on the XLR cable and Audio Interface to get here... think I'll have better luck?

About the emotion,
It seems that myself and some people around me hear the emotion in my voice when I am singing but by the time it is relayed to the computer - it's flat. Is that the microphone too?

The mix is pretty tough to work with. I'd turn down the guitar a lot so you can hear the vocals. I don't have a problem with your vocals, I thought it sounded like you got a bit tired and started waivering later on in the clip but it was again hard to hear perfectly. This is a pretty monotonous song which will be pretty boring for the listener. You did a good job but I don't think it's a good song - for anyone - to sing. A better mic positioned better will help. It will also be fun for you to have some new stuff to play with ;-)
BTW If you're NOT using autotune you are a million times better singer than Taylor Swift who is a terrible live singer IMHO.

As far as the microphone, it's a slim desktop microphone.

Did you sing hunched over your desk into the mic? That could be a good part of your problem, right there. Desktop mics are fine for voice-overs or other types of spoken words, but never, ever, SING in that position!! You always want to be standing, with your head slightly tilted upwards into the mic. That allows full breaths and support, and the correct vocal embouchure up through your throat and palate. You may sometimes see videos of singers in a studio singing with their chins down...that's either a sign of inexperience, lip-syncing, or perhaps an effort towards a more intimate, softer style.

You may also have heard of some vocalists singing while flat on their backs on the floor...but I wouldn't recommend that just yet! Andrea Bocelli did that on a CD a few years back.

Your C1 should be much better. Good luck!

-Bruce

This sounded like you were singing through your nose and flexing your chest as you sang. I don't think it had anything to do with the mic. When you breathe in, make sure that your stomach expands (not your chest) and you want to tense just below your sternum. Try singing in an over-the-top operatic voice to see what it feels like. Also, you may want to turn the accompanying music up louder while you sing to get more balls into your voice. That helps me anyway...

I'm going to be brutally honest because I'm a believer in honesty over ego-stroking...

With that said, it's not good. It's pretty bad. Your singing is flat majority of the time and it's closer to talking then singing. You are off time quite a bit as well. Poor annunciation and no emotion. If you are serious about singing you should definitely take lessons.

On the subject of the recording - there's no need (especially with a song like this) to have all sorts of reverb and effects. It's distracting and makes it sound worse. It should be a "dry" and intimate sounding recording in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for the comments... this website in general helps me a lot with everything. My audio interface still isn't here, I ordered a M-Audio Mobile PreUSB... it's expected ship time is sometime this week.

As for the comment about autotune... no, I did not use autotune in this recording. I've tried using it one in a hiphop cover and didn't like the outcome. It's too robotic for me. And thank you.

I actually was sitting down while recording this, and yes, I was slumped over to the desk. I've been told many, many, times not to do that... but my microphone wouldn't reach to a higher position.

I am very serious about singing, it's something I've always enjoyed. When I get the rest of my equipment in, I will post a new track and hopefully I can get some feedback on it... hopefully, it's better.

Thank you guys, again.

I've honestly never had a problem sitting down while singing (feel free to take a listen at the link below, all those vocals were from a seated position) I'm sure there's benefits but it would be the last of my concerns for you. You really just need to focus on singing on key and with some life, right now.

yea the mic you used is not too great at all, but when you get a better mic and preamp, or use what ever interface you got, then it will sound much better, you will have more detail and sharpness.

Back