I don't know if this is the right placet post this

antispatula

but I don't know where else to put it. So here's the situation:

Me and my friend play in a band. I write the stuff, sing, and play guitar. He does percussion and guitar. He can't seem to hold a beat. Can learning how to hold a beat and find the "groove" or rythm be learned? How? What should we do! Thanks!!

Internal Metronome

Good internal time keeping can be taught, but he has to be willing to commit the time. Some people pick it up very quickly while others never get it. I was lucky enough to play in drumlines on the high school and DCI level and metronomes were clicking 24/7, or it seemed like it anyway. All of that was to engrain that subdivision into our heads. It all has to do with the feel of the music. If the feel is straight eighths, then he should be subdividing mentally in eighth notes continuously. After that, it's time to teach him how to wait on beat 1 and to know where it is constantly until he doesn't even have to think about it. That's all I got right now.

-Jamie

ah, ok thanks, so he just needs practice. I think he can get it, because lot's of the time he can keep a perfect beat. And sometimes he won't get it at first, then after 20 minutes of practice, he does it 100 times better. This shows potential?

Back