Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The "I can't sing" people!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    So what exactly are we using ti say X its good, and Y is not?
    Well I think the problem is people like to ascribe absolutes to things, and there's no way to quantify how someone's voice or style will make others feel, relate, react.
    So, that's why many technical people never make it, and many people with poor technical skills do make it. It's a wild card that you can't really quantify. Like, I love the singers mentioned here (Dylan, Beck, Lou Reed) who are all "bad" objectively, but they have some quality (Mojo, unique style, timbre, etc) that make up for what they lack in technique. Sometimes pure singers who are objectively great don't do it for me because I don't feel the emotional connection. Sometimes they do (Freddy Mercury is a great example of someone who has both technique and the ability to emote and connect). I wouldn't want to hear Freddy sing Beck, though. Well, maybe I would...lol. Could be interesting. But I guess there's a voice for each genre. Just like a certain snare sound doesn't fill all styles of music.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchfactory View Post
    Here's rules I set for myself when tracking, which are simple: I have to be in a pretty decent mood (harder than it looks), close to zero stress ...
    Hmm, opposite for me. Otherwise, pretty good post.

I cannot perform (vocally) or write while in a happy mood. I'm not a happy-go-lucky songwriter, and my music, no matter its tone or perceived image, requires a less-than-happy state. If my song shouts desperation or longing, despair or hopelessness, then I need to feel that while I write it and track it.
    "No healthy person waits in line with a slew of geriatrics on a Sunday morning for pancakes" - RFR https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    Hmm, opposite for me. Otherwise, pretty good post.

I cannot perform (vocally) or write while in a happy mood. I'm not a happy-go-lucky songwriter, and my music, no matter its tone or perceived image, requires a less-than-happy state. If my song shouts desperation or longing, despair or hopelessness, then I need to feel that while I write it and track it.
    All roads lead to Rome...happy, sad, angry, ambivalent, mischevious..Good and Bad I define these terms quite clear, no doubt, somehow ah but I was so much older then I'm younger than that now.... Yep there is no one way to do anything and when it comes to defining music what is Good, Bad or just OK is a totally subjective thing...If you grew up in a remote village with no contact from the outside world and banging on tree stumps and shaking rattles while chanting guttural sounds was the hip slick music of your tribe then you are probably not going to appreciate Gershwin or Jimi Hendrix...Now the Michael Jackson Killer or Billy Jean video...those will entertain anyone anywhere on any planet in the cosmos...He was tricky

Thread Information