I am going to be my on producer , singer, songwiter and drummer and this a good idea?

CJ

I been wirteing songs for a while now and like record a demo and cd soon but i am going to record it at my studio i got my brother on keyboard if he dont cange his mind but i would but need some guys to come to play with me i would like could i get some gigs without a demo tape.

It is possible to do all these things yourself, and until you get some band mateys, you might not have any other choice. So go for it . . .

Do it yourself.
When you get that drummer that sux, the bizzy bazzist from hell, and a few more clowns to JACK your songs to hell, then you will remember these days of total control.
rj

ha!

in the german language the saying goes "I can sing a song about that!" (how suitable)
which means I am in the same situation.

recording i play guitar and sing on my own. drums are midi sequenced - but I make them sound quite real. bass is midi too. I could play bass but I don't have one. and hell, I'm really no bad drummer but I guess the neighbours wouldn't like it and I don't have the equipment to pick up the drums.

i'm always looking for a band to join as a guitarist (it's quite hard where I live). but then - when I finally got one - I have to find out it's not _exactly_ the music I want to do.

for recording I'd say: do it on your own. this way you get YOUR songs.
chances are that some musicians can improve your song, but they can fuck it up too... 99:1 for the latter :-)

but maybe you're like me and you want to play live.
well, I guess we both have to find a band which plays just a bit the way we want and keep on recording our own stuff.

Maybe it doesn't end up exactly the way YOU wanted it, but it may turn out better overall. It might. Might not. You can always try letting someone come and play the part. If you dont' like it don't use it.

Some of the best stuff is collaborative. (some not all)

In recording, the song/record should be above all else...including your ego.

A producer is a third ear that can bring out a lot of things you're probably missing because you're so close to the music.

I would definitely bring some other people in. At worst, you can always veto their ideas.

dave @ kathode ray
www.indiebiz.com

Click here for a free, 10-day music promotion course.

a third ear helps but not if its some shmuck.its fun to play with stuff with your buds or in a band,even by yourself.i find though that the idea of using a producer is appealing when that person is professional,talented,
and mature, otherwise it aint worth it.

if you own your own recording stuff it should be easier to find collaborators.just assemble a group of musicians and break stuff up into different projects.so when using your studio they all do what you tell them to otherwise they can buy their own friggin studio.then you letthem do their own things to appease their ego's.break these things up to different projects.

turn your buddies into studio musicians for your ends by bribing them with recording time.if theyve got big heads and dont listen screw em.the carrot and the stick.it can work.if youve got the studio youve got the power because your the producer.and all musicians want to record their stuff.

jack of all trades master of none they say.plus twiddling knobs and producing performances while working out arrangements and maintaining your chops can be a jumbled mess.

robert jaybird said:
a third ear helps but not if its some shmuck.its fun to play with stuff with your buds or in a band,even by yourself.i find though that the idea of using a producer is appealing when that person is professional,talented,
and mature, otherwise it aint worth it.

Definitely, like anybody, you want to have a great producer.

By the way, I know a great guy in Philly that I recommend highly. If you're in the area, it's an especially great deal. He'll go anywhere, but you'll have to cover his expenses.

Budget concerns allow one to be a fair to mid producer. We all want it to be better, but why wait for somebody else?

I do all my playing/recording/etc by myself too, and even if you cant get someone else to play w/ you, i'd recommend getting at least a few other people to listen to the songs, and give you their opinions...a lot of the time you listen to the song(s) so many times that you tend to not notice things that dont sound good...I always have a few of my friends around to tell me when something sucks :)

Back