How to sing with more life in my voice?

Get into character. You may feel like you are into the song, but we have both admitted - that's not working. So step it up a notch. Go over the top with the emotion (and annunciation). When I've been in the studio recording vocals I perform it like I'm on stage. Put some energy into it!

I can't stand this type of music, but this is a great example of getting into the song. Yes, this kid has an amazing voice, but he's having a good time and really getting into what he's singing.

those vocals are as autotuned as it gets :laughings:

Phrasing

All of the above is spot on...one thing I didn't see was phrasing. Take time to read the lyrics...really understand what is being said by the composer. Don't miss the message in the song. Often people sing a song because they like the words or the meaning but they don't stop to think about HOW the meaning is conveyed.

For example...say the following two sentences with the included emphasis and see how the messages conveyed differ:

I would NEVER say I love you.

AND

I would never SAY I love you.

The first one implies the person making the statement will never love the person to whom they are speaking. The second leaves open the possibility for love but that the person for some reason can't bring themselves to say it. Same sentence, two meanings and sets of implications.

So it is imperative that you understand the meaning to be conveyed and then phrase to match. When you do that you will pull a lot of life into your singing and it will come naturally which will make it sound more sincere.

Finally, think about where you break your lines for both breath and effect. It's okay to break a line if the break will add interest. For example:

I would never /break/ say I love you

AND

I would never say /break/ I love you

AND

I would never say I love you

The first one is harsher and more emphatic - makes a point.
The second shows shyness and hesitation almost like I want to say it but I can't - timid.
The third, depending on emphasis can be anything but if sung as one continuous line implies the person saying it has thought this out and has made a decision.

Hope these ideas help. And of course there are other interpretations of what I've written but the point is make the song yours through understanding first and then through HOW you communicate the message.

Good luck!

fantastic replies...all worthy and witnessed on the path

...remember you are a musical instrument...you are an instrumentation blended into the orchestration of sound supporting your song,,,the melody

be musical...be that sound, that emotion, that color, that playfulness, the meaning of the word,,paint your picture in union with your instrumentation..not set upon, not a separate addition, but a blend of its own instrument...yours

the one thing I can NEVER get away from ,,,is my ear....when I sing originals...they sound completely of a different timbre/style than when I do covers...and I fixate on perfecting the covers first to learn the riffs for my originals...so its a bit of a circle for me....I end up changing my tone/style with each/artist I cover...its weird

but its also about instrumentation

everything I posted today is represented here

I did all of these in a row ,,back to back....and should of broken it up instead into 3 sections thruout the day instead of back to back

you can hear the ear go in and out...and the tone change with each diff artist

www.myspace.com/exoteroticall

Back