How do you reach your vocal peak?

ax2x3m

hi, just wanted to know if anyone cared to share how they warm up their voice to achieve their maximum capacity

just wanted to know if there was i better was since i usually dont do anything before a jamming session and it takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour before i can actually sing my best

the first 30 minutes is an agonizing struggle to sing song i usually sing but with a significant increase in difficulty since my voice isnt ready for it

any advice guys? i want to sing my best straight off the bat, any replies would be appreciated :D

Im not much of a singer and im posting more to find out what real singers do, but it helps me just to go up and down scales a few times before. nothing special same old same old. but hey it works. I've heard some people sing the 1st of a scale, then the 1st again, then the 2nd, then the 1st....2nd..3rd...1st...2nd..3rd...4th...1st...2nd...3rd..4th....5th.... you get the picture.

ax2x3m said:
hi, just wanted to know if anyone cared to share how they warm up their voice to achieve their maximum capacity
Just before I sing I smoke a pack of cigarettes, drink a shot of tequila, and put on really tight underwear. That always does the trick. Seriously, though, you already know the answer to your own question. You said so right here:

it takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour before i can actually sing my best
Just start singing 30 minutes or so before you want to perform. And to be kind to your vocal cords, begin softly and in a low register before working up to higher volumes and pitches. Every professional singer who values his or her voice warms up before a performance. They probably don't take as long as 30 minutes, but you might not take that long, either, if you ease into it.

That's interesting. So many times I get really annoyed that I can't sing. I just try for 2 minutes or something and go, ah this sucks. So every vocal I've ever done has been the first take basically. And I know it could be better, but I never could be bothered to work at it. I know I can sing ok when I'm prefectly relaxed and warmed up. So yeah, beer is good.

Haven't had tequilla for ages

Get a Vocal Coach CD

http://cgi.ebay.com/PRO-SINGING-VOI...ryZ29950QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought the above CD about a year ago for myself. I just started doing the warm-ups about 6 months ago and noticed a BIG difference. I found that once I do the warm up exercises I can sing better and longer than if I just start singing cold. I recommend this CD as I know it helps warm up my voice - but I'm sure there are other CD's of this type available. Also I think this seller has a few female/male-specific CD's on her website for warm-ups. One thing you have to do is discipline yourself to warm up before starting to sing. This CD takes about 1/2 hour to complete the warm-up exercises.

Three most important warm up principles.

1. Good Posture
2. Proper Breathing
3. Be gentle with your voice and Warm-up before intensive use.

Try the following vocal exercises :

WARM-UPS
When you are going to sing, watch that you are in a position of minimum tension and maximum flexibility with your ears directly over your shoulders, shoulders over your hips. check that you can still see your shoulders out of peripheral vision.

1. GOOD POSTURE - pretend you are a puppet dangling on a single string attached to the top of your head
Be conscious of how you breathe. Deep breathing is essential for safe, healthy, effective voice production. When you breathe in, aim to feel as if you take in air as low down in your body as possible without your shoulders having to rise. Allow stomach muscles to relax outwards as you breathe in.

2. PROPER BREATHING - Begin your singing with exercices that focus on proper breathing. Panting like a dog or holding hands on the diaphram to feel it expanding outward while breathing in deeply are two such exercises.

After that it's time for a gentle vocal warm-up.

3. VOCAL WARM-UP - massage your face, lips, and throat to relax tension. hum an "m" sound gently up and down the voice range to to start the vocal warm-up.

Then, sing a series of round open vowels such as "Mmmeee-Mmmay-Mmmah-Mmmoe-Mmmoo" on one note and then repeating moving up and down the scale.

Check breathing - relax your gut muscles outwards as you take a breath in.

Other vocal health hints

- Be sure you keep your vocal folds moist and well lubricated. You can do this by drinking plenty of liquids throughout the day.

- Keep tea and coffee consumption to a minimum though, as the caffeine in these drinks dries out the vocal folds and can make the voice sound raspy and scratchy. Alcohol is also bad for the voice, as it dehydrates the body and therefore the vocal folds.

- Take time to take a relaxed, deep breath when you need to before you start to sing or speak.

- After speaking for a long time, warm-down by drinking some tepid water. Yawn and then breathe deeply.

- To nurse your voice through a cold or a throat infection, steam it - put some hot water in a basin, lean over it gently with a towel over your head and inhale the steam. Be careful not to scald yourself! For the best results, do this several times a day for approximately 10 minutes at a time.

- Look after your voice. Don't strain it. Eliminate background noise before you try to speak loudly over it. If you have to project your voice, always use breath support.

- Watch that you DO NOT push your voice from the throat. When you speak, your navel should move towards your backbone. If this doesn't happen, you won't get the best from your voice and you may even damage your voice without realising it.

ax2x3m said:

just wanted to know if there was i better was since i usually dont do anything before a jamming session and it takes about 30 minutes to 1 hour before i can actually sing my best

the first 30 minutes is an agonizing struggle to sing song i usually sing but with a significant increase in difficulty since my voice isnt ready for it

any advice guys? i want to sing my best straight off the bat, any replies would be appreciated :D

think about your lungs.

great way to warm up is to beat box continuously for few minutes. don't stop, just keep going. afterwards, your voice will be bigger for sure.

If I want to reach peak performance level, I will usually do 3 or 4 sets of pushups, a couple sets of crunches, then do deep breathing.

stalemayte said:
If I want to reach peak performance level, I will usually do 3 or 4 sets of pushups, a couple sets of crunches, then do deep breathing.

i'd pretty much go with this way, but it depends on the type of performance youre doing.

if i'm doing a high energy, moving rock track, then just getting the adrenaline going is enough for me. yeah ok, my first take is crap, but most likely it'll have alot more bottle, balls and characteristics in it than my following takes.

so...i'd just say, depending on the track, just get into the mood of the song youre trying to sing. a raw, imperfect but powerful and emotional performance is better than a perfect, tuneful and emotionless take, IMO. think vocallly Celine Dion vs Jimi Hendrix/Linda Perry/Bob Dylan, etc, etc (as mentioned in another thread somewhere :) ...)

On the way to gigs, which are 4-hours long, I try and sing low pitches to get the blood flowing and to stretch out my vocal cords. If I come in cold and start yelling, I lose my voice by the end of the second set.

tried singing before the practice by myself. well my voice when we started was waaaay better than without singing earlier but i still didnt reach my peak! i still reached it 1 hour into the actual practice with the band. dont know what to do now :(

Back